Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 8, 2011, 04:58 PM
    The funny things dogs do and eat, and other funny pet stories
    Okay, before I totally hijack another thread, I'm starting a new one. :o

This is all about pets. Dogs are in the title, but come one come all, we want to hear the funny things your pets do, if they've ever eaten something they shouldn't, if they know a unique trick. Whatever you want to tell us about your fur baby, or feather baby, or even fin baby. :)

Our Lab cross Indy (he'll be 16 years old in May) has done many memorable things. I'll start this thread off with a few stories about him. Not that the other two haven't gotten into their fair share of trouble, but Indy is old, and his past experiences should be remembered. :)

In the things eaten department:

A large plastic bouncy ball.
    A leather work glove.
    Tissues, only used ones.
    Garbage.
    Poo. (not his most shining moment)
    A few of my shoes.
    Underwear (he has a real fetish for undies).
    A $100 bra. :mad:

There's so much more. Basically anything that isn't tied down is fair game for him.

He's been hit by a car (the vet said that if he wasn't so "girthy" he would have been badly injured. That's a nice way of saying "your dog is fat".

He used to sit in the front passenger seat of the car. One day hubby had to slam on the breaks to avoid another car. Indy went flying, hit his head on the windshield. He wasn't hurt, but since that day he refuses to sit in the front. He sits in the back seat, lays down, and doesn't move until we get to where we're going.

He got beaten up by a huge Rottweiler in the off leash area when he was around 2 years old. After that he approached every new dog in stealth mode. Crawling on the ground, hackles raised, but tail wagging. It made no sense. As soon as the other dogs tail wagged back, he'd get up, run and play. Strange pup. ;)

When I brought my first born home Indy was 3. We thought he'd have a hard time adjusting. Well, he took over. That was his baby. He slept under Jared's crib until Jared was old enough for a bed. If Jared woke up in the middle of the night, Indy would come to my room to wake me up. The look on his face was "Mom, that hairless dog you brought home is whining again".

So, those are a few of my stories. Let's hear yours. :)
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Mar 8, 2011, 05:01 PM

Im first! 1 omg Im finally first, Not even stoping to edit, Im first!
    Dogs Expert

Mar 8, 2011, 05:06 PM

Max... My good boy Max... I bought $250 pair of JFK shoes for prom. Put them on my bed, went to school, came home to find thousands of little pieces of JFK shoes all over the floor.

Took said dog to the park to meet with a cute boy I liked. Well Mr. Man decided it might be fun to eat a shoe lace, as we're all sitting and talking, Max comes over hunched over with a poop filled shoe lace swinging from his bum like a helicopter. Worst part? I had to use two sticks like make shift chop sticks and pull the string out. A few days later, cute boy was visiting at my house when Max decided to take a poop, only he pooped out hot pink underwear. Yup, the very same undies I had just bought!
    Pets Expert

Mar 8, 2011, 05:45 PM

LMAO! Max, you could give Indy a run for his money.

Our poodle (we got him when I was 11) always had to have something in his mouth when we came home. It didn't matter what it was, he just had to have something in his mouth.

Well, one day, after school, I brought a boy home. I had been crushing on this boy for years (I was 15 at the time). Well, Silver greets me at the door with the dirty underwear I had left on the floor of my bedroom that morning. If they had been cute undies I would have been embarrassed, but I would have lived. They weren't cute undies. They were cotton, off white, granny panties! I was horrified.
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Mar 9, 2011, 09:55 AM

I know this is a little R-rated, but we noticed a condom missing from the trash one day. Next day Eli poops out a condom-AWESOME! Add that to used tissues, Eli is a trashy dog!

My roommate's boyfriend brought over a basketball one day, and Eli went BERZERK! We put the ball on the ground and Eli basically straddles the thing trying to chew it up. He's a 15 pound Yorkie, so needless to say his little jaws are no match for a basketball. We have video of him chasing it around the house-funniest thing ever!

I had a cat that my parents got me on my 8th birthday (named him "Simba" after "The Lion King") and I just want to pay tribute to him: We lived in the mountains of Colorado and Simba was an outdoor cat. We had to rush him to kitty ER not once, but TWICE for getting bit by a rattle snake. He disappeared not once, but TWICE for three month increments. The Colorado mountains are full of bobcats, cougars, snakes, cliffs, and freezing winters... but my Simba died when I was 22 of old age-basking in the sunlight on the front porch. He was an awesome king of the mountains :)
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Mar 9, 2011, 09:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    LMAO! Max, you could give Indy a run for his money.

Our poodle (we got him when I was 11) always had to have something in his mouth when we came home. It didn't matter what it was, he just had to have something in his mouth.

Well, one day, after school, I brought a boy home. I had been crushing on this boy for years (I was 15 at the time). Well, Silver greets me at the door with the dirty underwear I had left on the floor of my bedroom that morning. If they had been cute undies I would have been embarrassed, but I would have lived. They weren't cute undies. They were cotton, off white, granny panties! I was horrified.
    Dogs are awesome for your reputation, aren't they?
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2011, 10:20 AM

Where to start... has to be seamie, our jack russel cross hand reared after the mother and rest of the litter died.

He became so well known around the neighbour hood the kids used to call to the door looking for seamie to come out to play.

Frank our elderly neighbour would call for seamie on his way for his daily walk.

As soon as the front door opened seamie was gone like a bullet, cursing and swearing I would go in search of him only to find him on the local football pitch with the lads,or in attendance at a little girls garden teaparty in someone's garden.

When I took him on the lead for a walk, people passing would say hello seamie... I would not have a clue who they were, but they knew seamie.

Another day I was walking home and I had to pass a group of dodgy looking teens, about to cross the road to avoid them who did I see sitting amongst like them lord puck,only seamie! He had escaped from home through an open window... when I called him he gave me a very sheepish look, but the teenagers loved him.

His best was when he brought home the waifs and stray dogs from wherever he found them,one day with a small kitten in tow.

I could talk about that hound of a dog all day, he was one of those once in a lifetime dogs, when he died I wept for days and the void his death left in our lives stayed for a long time.

His antics will be long remembered by a lot of people.
    Pets Expert

Mar 9, 2011, 04:12 PM

I'm ROTFLMAO picturing a yorkie pooping out a condom. It would be even funnier if it blew up like a balloon as it was being... um... evicted. :)

Red, Seamie sounds like my Chewy. Chewy is a beagle, and if the door opens and he has a chance, he makes a run for it. He just wants to sniff everything there is to sniff, experience everything there is to experience. Seamie and Chewy would have been great pals.

George Carlin was so right. Life is a series of dogs. It's never easy to lose one, but the joy they bring to you during their much to short existence, it's worth every moment. :)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2011, 12:30 AM

Hmmm...

My dogs have eaten

$800 coffee table
    $120 shoes
    $80 pair of clippers
    Hundreds of dollars of dog toys

My rabbit Jack, killed over $3,000 worth of tropical fish when he bit through their heater cable.

Mum and dad were livid, they used to breed Discus. They have never had fish again after that.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2011, 01:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Hmmm.....

my dogs have eaten

$800 coffee table
    $120 shoes
    $80 pair of clippers
    Hundreds of dollars of dog toys

My rabbit Jack, killed over $3,000 worth of tropical fish when he bit through their heater cable.

Mum and dad were livid, they used to breed Discus. They have never had fish again after that.
    Holy crap shaz, talk about pushing the bonds of love!

If a man did that he would be out the door with his bags.
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2011, 03:02 AM

It's tempting when they sit there waiting for you at the door with the remnants of some expensive item strewn across the living room...

I went out and bought all this nice expensive furniture... now I go for the cheap Ikea crap so it doesn't matter if it gets destroyed.

Owning dogs is a lifestyle on its own I think sometimes... or maybe I am just crazy.
    Pets Expert

Mar 10, 2011, 09:32 AM

It's funny how we adapt to them. We used to buy expensive stuff too. Now, with dogs and kids, the cheaper the better, because it won't last anyway.

I have to say though, the dogs have me well trained. When Chewy comes to me with a sock in his mouth, or a plastic bowl he's started chewing on, I often just let him have it. Oh I know it's wrong, but I give up! He wins! ;)
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2011, 01:46 AM

If they are V's socks I just let them chew holes in them.

V should learn not to leave his socks on the floor.
    Pets Expert

Mar 11, 2011, 07:02 PM

But Shazzy, they never learn. Trust me. Rod and I have been together for almost 21 years, married for 16 in May, and he still leaves his socks and undies on the floor. :(

Then, when he runs out, he complains. Um, sorry bud, if they're not in the laundry, they don't get washed. :)

So, Indy is driving me nuts. Yes, he's old. I know he's old. I feel bad that he's old. I understand that he's old and that concessions have to be made because of his age. But really, panting all night, walking around the house, barking at nothing, nosing through the garbage, until 6am!

I am so tired I almost fell asleep while driving the kids to school this morning.

He's at the end of his life, and I think he's trying to take me with him! :(
    Pets Expert

Mar 11, 2011, 07:29 PM

But Shazzy, they never learn. Trust me. Rod and I have been together for almost 21 years, married for 16 in May, and he still leaves his socks and undies on the floor. :(

Then, when he runs out, he complains. Um, sorry bud, if they're not in the laundry, they don't get washed. :)

So, Indy is driving me nuts. Yes, he's old. I know he's old. I feel bad that he's old. I understand that he's old and that concessions have to be made because of his age. But really, panting all night, walking around the house, barking at nothing, nosing through the garbage, until 6am!

I am so tired I almost fell asleep while driving the kids to school this morning.

He's at the end of his life, and I think he's trying to take me with him! :(
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Mar 12, 2011, 01:26 AM
    I think one of the best traits I've ever encountered in a pet
    Was the one my german shepherd Carly had. (she died at 15yrs old 7 years ago)

She protected children. All children.
    She loved playing with kids, and was" appropriate"
    In how she played with different genders and ages.
    When friends with kids came by they learned fast not to yell at their kids.
    Carly did not tolerate yelling at, or moving in a threatening manner towards, children.

It took her 2 or three loud words and she would move in front of the child
    Then snarl, bare teeth, raise hackles ,crouch and wiggle her butt.
    It was impressive. She never bit anyone or went after them, but you had to be
    Smiling and talk in a normal voice before she stopped blocking.

I'm glad nobody ever hit a child in front of her.

I was playing with my 5 yr old grandson who was Carlys best buddy,
    And tossed him on the couch,
    He landed on a hidden toy and yelped owww.

Carly was standing across the room. A blur appeared for an instant then
    Changed to Carly standing directly over my grandson , snarling and baring teeth at me.
    The look on her face was unmistakable , anyone else would have been bitten.

She was a great dog.
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2011, 06:26 AM

That is both scary and sweet at the same time!
    My MIL's Sily Terrier does something similar, except with women, if V is play fighting with me and I say 'ouch!' she will rush over and start barking at V, protecting me!

This isn't a funny dog story, but either I'm the worlds best dog trainer or Brody really does have a brain tucked away in there somewhere.
    I have done some basic obedience with him, he knows sit, drop and can balance on his hind legs on command. They all took a day or 2 to learn.
    I just taught him to shake hands/paws and about 3 minutes... that's one of the hardest tricks to get right consistently and he does it every time now.

I tried with Prada for about half an hour and she just did not get it at all... but she's my smart one!
    Dogs Expert

Mar 12, 2011, 07:20 AM

Lady gets quite defensive with E, but in the dog training world you learn quickly that actions like blocking are not good. It means your dog is in the alpha role. I don't mind when Lady gets involved when it comes to protecting E too much, but I will not let her block me. Lady is also very protective of me. On my birthday past my dad gave me a big hug, and I was laughing, Lady wedged her self in between us, and was almost herding my dad into a corner of a kitchen (she is not a herding breed). That was a bit nerve racking for me, only because I wasn't prepared to loose my alpha position, so it was back to training we went.

It's hard to discipline actions like that. But correction is necessary to have a safe environment with two large dogs in a house with a young child. Although I pity the person who ever tries to enter my house with out a welcome.
    Pets Expert

Mar 12, 2011, 02:06 PM

Well crap. Jasper does that all the time. :(

Here's the weird part. He's definitely not alpha. In fact, he obeys me without hesitation. But, if R and I are play fighting, or even if we hug, he gets upset.

He won't break us up, he just barks at us.

He's very protective of Syd. Not Jared so much, not anymore. When Jared was younger he was, now I guess Jasper thinks Jared can fend for himself. ;)

When you guys come to visit I'm sure he'll be protective over E because she's little.

Then there's Chewy. Everyone is his buddy, but he definitely has a different relationship with Syd then with Jared. If Syd steps on him, or accidentally hurts him, he's very accepting of it. In fact, most times he tries to comfort her, even though he's the one that got hurt. If Jared does the same thing, Chewy will let him know that he's too big for accidents, and to watch it. ;)
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2011, 07:50 PM

Reminds me of Prada at the park.

Whenever there are 2 dogs play fighting (rough play fighting) she will be there bouncing around the outside of the playing dogs barking at them... it's as if she's saying "right, calm down you two, settle down!" :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Funny Dogs [ 7 Answers ]

Just thought I would share about my goofy Dachshunds. Yesterday we were all swimming in the pool and the kids were yelling and playing (my 2 year old dog Roscoe is very protective over my children) I guess he thought they were in trouble or something and jumped the 4ft pool. Now this is a dog that...

What stupid or funny things has your child done? [ 6 Answers ]

Myson always does stupid things like I tell him not to stand on the sofa because he'll fall then what does he do throws his self off the sofa lol Lol myson used to strain himself when he was filling his nappie and the other xmas me and mymum and son was walking round smiths toy shop and he was...

Funny movie with monster things [ 2 Answers ]

It was a movie where a guy is forced to stay with a strange family when his car breaks down. With 2 blob monster things & their father forces the guy to marry his daughter. He escapes on a roller coaster & I remember parts being in a junk yard. I know its very vague but any help will do

View more questions Search