Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pando1972 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2011, 10:34 AM
    Is it a better buy to buy circulated coins or uncirculated coins?
    I would like to buy silver coins as a hedge against inflation. Is it important that the coins be uncirculated? Would it be a better buy to buy circulated coins?
    Thanks.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 8, 2011, 10:47 AM

Uncirculated are obviously more valuable to collectors as collectibles because thety are rarer. So you would pay more for an uncirculated coin today, and expect to get more for them in the future. If you are using the collectible market as your hedge (as opposed to the intrinsic value of the silver), it's not clear to me that the percentage growth in the value of uncirculated coins in the future would be different from that of uncirculated coins. Personally I would go easy on investing in coins as a hedge - yes they may be a good hedge against inflation over time, but the market can fluctuate greatly from month to month. So if someday you find yourself having to sell the coins quickly to raise cash it may not turn out so well for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help with Proof: A cents in B coins --> B dollars in A coins? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I need to solve this proof put I cannot seem to figure it out. I'd really appreciate some help! If a dollar is 100 cents and coins come in 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50 and 100 cents. Suppose that one can make A cents using exactly B coins. Prove that it is possible to make B dollars using exactly A...

Is it illegal to buy to buy a house from a friend then sell it back to her? [ 10 Answers ]

I have a friend that live in California that wants me to purchase her home and sell it back to her. She said a broker said she would save money. The purchase would be cash both ways. Also would I have problems with IRS she is giving me funds. Would they expect me to pay cash on it next year? ...

Old Coins [ 3 Answers ]

I own an Elizebeth 1st hammered sixpence dated 1562. It is in very good condition and everything is clear and readable with naked eye. Could you advise me as to it's current value and the best way to sell. Regards MelGB

Coins - Value [ 2 Answers ]

Recently my mother has passed away and left me quite a bit of coins. Since I am not a coin collector I am not sure as to where to even start. I have one coin in from of me that I will ask about now. But because I have so many I am unable to lsit them all here. The one I have currently with me is...

Possible Monetary Value of 1776 - 1976, "D" Mint Mark Uncirculated Set of Coins [ 5 Answers ]

Hi! I'm looking for the possible collectible monetary value of 1776 - 1976, "D" mint mark uncirculated set of coins. They're still in the soft plastic wrapper from the mint. I would also like to know if I should be taking them out of that wrapper or not and storing them in some other way....

View more questions Search