Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nicky831224 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2007, 11:09 AM
    Ear vs. apr
    Here is queation: There are two banks in the area that offer 30-year, $210,000 mortgages at 7.5 percent and charge a $1,500 loan application fee. However, the application fee charged by Insecurity Bank and Trust is refundable if the loan application is denied, whereas that charged by I. M. Greedy and Sons Mortgage Bank is not. The current disclosure law requires that any fees that will be refunded if the applicant is rejected be included in calculating the APR, but this is not required with nonrefundable fees (presumably because refundable fees are part of the loan rather than a fee).

What is the EAR and APR for the loan with the refundable fee?

APR?

EAR?

Requirement 2:

What is the EAR and APR for the loan with the nonrefundable fee?

APR?

EAR?

Could somebody help me, Thank you.
    KMSRyana Posts: 142, Reputation: 26

Jan 20, 2007, 02:45 PM
    Assuming that there are no other loan fees within the loan that you are financing, in your first scenario you gave the APR and the EAR would be the same, 7.5%

In the second scenario your APR would be 7.573% and the EAR would be 7.5%.

You must consider if you are financing any other fees (such as the escrow, title insurance, lender fees, etc.) as well. If you are, versus paying them outside the loan, it would change the answer to your question.
    Nicky831224 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2007, 05:12 PM
    How do u get the answer?Thank you
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 20, 2007, 05:15 PM
    This appears to be a school work of some sort, From the names of the mortgage companies to the example, since a 1500 non refundable fee would not be used in real life in today's mortgage industry.

We are not here to do this homework, we may suggest how you can do it, and best of all you supply us with your opinion of what you think the answer is and we can help you look at it.

Please do not submit future homework questions here for us to do it, please submit general questions or your answers for us to review.
    schoolstuffer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 07:33 PM
    If given APR then you have to convert to EAR=(1+(Nominal rate/M)^m)-1

So if given the APR .02 and m=# of periods is 12 then the equation would be
    [1+(.02/12)^12] -1 = 2.0184% EAR
    cbmitchell Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2012, 04:40 PM
    I am using excel to find the EAR for mortgages. I am doing a 30 year and the interest rate is 3.75. I am getting confused with formular. I put in =(30+3.75/30)-1
    or is it =(1+3.75/1)-1. I read that 1 is annually 2 semi and so forth. Please help me
    I need for my school assignment. Professor is not making it clear to me

Jul 24, 2012, 04:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cbmitchell View Post
    I am using excel to find the EAR for mortgages. I am doing a 30 year and the interest rate is 3.75. I am getting confused with formular. I put in =(30+3.75/30)-1
    or is it =(1+3.75/1)-1. I read that 1 is annually 2 semi and so forth. please help me
    i need for my school assignment. professor is not making it clear to me
    To be sure I understand you the answer is EAR is 3.75

Jul 24, 2012, 05:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    This appears to be a school work of some sort, From the names of the mortgage companies to the example, since a 1500 non refundable fee would not be used in real life in today's mortgage industry.

We are not here to do this homework, we may suggest how you can do it, and best of all you supply us with your opinion of what you think the answer is and we can help you look at it.

Please do not submit future homework questions here for us to do it, please submit general questions or your answers for us to review.
    not looking for you to do my homework. I was trying to understand the formular so I could it myself. I gave you two formular was trying make sure I am on the right track with =(1+3.750/1)-1

thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

More ear vs apr [ 2 Answers ]

Two banks offer 30-year $150,000 mortgages at 8.5% and charge $1,000 loan application fee. Bank X refunds the fee if the application is denied, bank Y does not. The current disclosure law requires that any fees that will be refunded if the applicant is rejected be included in calculating APR,...

Ear vs apr [ 2 Answers ]

Two banks offer 30-year $150,000 mortgages at 8.5% and charge $1,000 loan application fee. Bank X refunds the fee if the application is denied, bank Y does not. The current disclosure law requires that any fees that will be refunded if the applicant is rejected be included in calculating APR, but...

Ear infection [ 6 Answers ]

My dog has an ear infection and the vet prescribed some ear drops. I was wondering if what Labman suggested for cleaning the ears can be done easily or should I have someone show me first then do it on my own. I really would hate to screw up his hearing or balance in case I poke something in the...

Ear vs apr [ 1 Answers ]

Two banks offer 30-year $150,000 mortgages at 8.5% and charge $1,000 loan application fee. Bank X refunds the fee if the application is denied, bank Y does not. The current disclosure law requires that any fees that will be refunded if the applicant is rejected be included in calculating APR, but...

View more questions Search