Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    david0836 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2011, 09:46 AM
    Where to send form 843 and 8316; if you have done federal taxes online
    Hello,

My wife worked on OPT last year and her employer withheld SSN tax and Medicare tax.
    So now we need to fill out and send form 843 and 8316.

I searched online and the instructions said; you need to send these forms where you sent your federal forms.

But we filed our taxes online through TaxAct? So now where should we send these forms?

Thanks for your help.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 8, 2011, 10:26 AM
    If you filed on-line, that means you filed JOINTLY.

That MAY or MAY NOT have been the correct way to file, but by filing jointly, you effectively KILLED any chance of getting the FICA taxes back, because the IRS now considers you BOTh to be resident aliens, and resident aliens ARE LIABLE for FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes.

You CAN fix this; email me at [email protected] for the process TODAY, because you must act SOON if you want to get her FICA taxes back!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Form 8223, form 8316 and form 843 for F-1 student (India) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am an International student (from India) doing my MS in Computer Science in NY. I worked for a month on CPT in 2009 and I got a w-2 form from my employer recently. And I realized that my employer did withheld Medicare Tax and social Security Tax. And I asked him to refund the SS Tax and...

Which form do I have to use for federal taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

I worked as a J1 scholar from October 2008 to March 2009. In 2008 I sent a 1040NR-EZ form and a 8843 and I got a refund thanks to the US-Italy treaty. I want to do the same thing this year. Since I am not living in the US anymore should I file the 8843 form? If the answer is yes what should I put...

Do I send W7 form with state taxes? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm attaching a W7 for my wife because she has no SS#. What do I do for my NY state taxes then?

Form 843 and 8316 Employer Penalty [ 1 Answers ]

I am a small business owner and one of my employees is an OPT student who is currently applying for HB-1 status. I was just made aware that for the past few months we have been taking Social Security and Medicare withholding for his pay. I understand now that this should not be the case. I made our...

F1-OPT SSN, Medicare Taxes form 843 filed [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I worked on OPT from may 15th 2006 to nov 30th 2006 and my employer Deducted the SSN and medicare taxes. During the beginning of 2007, not knowing About filing 843, I filed form 1040EZ with my husband who is a resident alien for Tax purposes. However, during July 2007 I filed...

View more questions Search