Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pluckyflamingo Posts: 220, Reputation: 17

Mar 8, 2011, 09:34 AM
    College Tuition Refunds
    I just recently withdrew from a class after the "refund dates" I withdrew from an internet course from my local community college. The teacher was late to respond to questions, very wishy-washy and extremely rude when asked questions about assignments he gave little to no direction on. It took me a month after the "refund dates" in order to find out, that the teachers method to teaching was not what I wanted out of my classes. So how come a college thinks they are not required to give you money back for a class that you did not receive the experience expected?

FYI this is not my first internet course.
    summer_girl Posts: 146, Reputation: 48

Mar 8, 2011, 09:36 AM
    A college is a business. They have cut-off refund dates because after a certain point, they're not able to sell that spot in the class (bricks & mortar or internet) to somebody else. If they gave refunds to every disgruntled person (or everyone with buyer's remorse for any financial reason), they'd be out of business.

Mar 8, 2011, 09:46 AM
    But if you purchased a product and you didn't like it, aren't you able to return it. That is my case, I purchased several classes and out of all of them this is one that not only me is withdrawing from because of his incompetence.

Mar 8, 2011, 09:49 AM
    Also I might add, I am in no financial bind, I just feel that if you are not satisfied with the service, compensation should be available. And also I do not have "buyers remorse", he is a horrible teacher that needs to reevaluate his teaching methods.
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Mar 8, 2011, 10:01 AM

Actually, I was in a similar situation to yours. Kind of. What happened is I was able to sign up for a course that I hadn't taken the prerequisites for. When I found out on my own that I was in over my head, it was past the cut-off date for refunds. I was able to submit a form where I explained why I thought I should get a refund and they DID refund the class for me.

However, since yours is a case of difference in teaching and learning strategy rather than the college not examining prerequisites... I'm not sure you'll have the same luck. It's worth a try.

Mar 8, 2011, 11:08 AM
    They actually sold you a service, not a product. It doesn't sound as if it's a situation where (as noted by the other poster) they failed to notify you of a required prerequisite. It won't hurt to ask for judgement on your dispute, but ultimately their decision is final. I know you learned something here, if only that you need to track refund dates on your calendar!

Mar 8, 2011, 02:34 PM
    I finally got through and was able to speak with a real person at the college. All I have to do is fill out a refund request paper and then it gets turned over to the department. Since this is not a question of cold feet and neglecting my refund dates as summer_girl states. To find out exactly how a professor is, takes more than what the refund dates allot. And since I am now not the only one withdrawing from this certain teachers class. He is going to be evaluated and those who have withdrawn will most likely be reimbursed.
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Mar 8, 2011, 02:38 PM

Best of luck! Getting stuck with a less than desirable professor is tough, and sometimes makes the class impossible. When I was in college I always, ALWAYS looked up unfamiliar professors at Rate My Professors. This is a really useful website and highly used by college kids.

Mar 8, 2011, 02:41 PM
    Did you not say this in your original post:
    "I just recently withdrew from a class after the "refund dates" "??

I think most had assumed you had already contacted college in an attempt at reimbursement and were denied. I'm glad you finally took care of it properly.

Mar 9, 2011, 09:20 AM
    I referred to the refund dates because I did not want to be asked about them. Yes I did take care of things "properly" it just takes most colleges a decade to contact you, and I came to this site for friendly advice.

However summer-girl like my daddy always said assume means exactly how it is spelled. "It makes an A** out of YOU and me" I suggest if you truly want to help someone out, you ask questions instead of assuming.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2011, 10:20 AM

This thread is now closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ex not paying college tuition? [ 3 Answers ]

Can my ex refuse to pay for our son's college tuition even though it is in the divorce that we each pay 50%? He says he doesn't have the money and probably can't get a loan due to negative equity on his house... Is it worth it to take him to court?

Single parent needs college tuition [ 4 Answers ]

My sister is a single parent living in Missouri and she is trying to pursue a degree in RN and would like to know besides Financial Aids what other scholarships or grants that are out there for a single parent?

401k for child college tuition [ 3 Answers ]

Is it possible to withdraw funds from my IRA to use for my child college expenses? Would there be any penalties, would I be taxed, do I need to re-pay it? This was a rollover from a previous employer and was invested through morgan keegan as an IRA. Two years later, instead of growing, it had...

Rising College Tuition [ 3 Answers ]

Hello! I'm writing a paper about rising college tuition. Obviously, I'm against that, but I can't think of any arguments for the opposite side. I mean, I'd like to know what are some advantages of rising college tuition? Thanks.

College student w/o w-2 but can I file tax to get college tuition credits back? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a college student with no job income(no W-2 form) but do have few dollars of interest earned from saving account(1099-INT form). I know I do not have to file tax return since the income is extremely low. But I heard if I file tax return then I can get few hundreds of college tuition...

View more questions Search