Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lynn53 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2011, 05:50 AM
    Meaning of luke 12:24
    What is the meaning of verses 12:24 in luke
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Mar 8, 2011, 01:47 PM
    It's to be understood as a comparison and contrast.

Consider God's care for his creation. Birds do not sow seeds and since they do not sow on their own (obviously they can't) it follows that they don't reap either. They have nothing to store their food in like storehouses or barns…and yet God feeds them. If God is so concerned with birds and attending to their needs, how much more is he going to tend to the needs of his people? Man is so much more valuable to God than animals.

This statement comes right after a parable Jesus teaches concerning covetousness. A man with earthly riches prepares himself for a life of earthly comfort by taking great strides to preserve and care for his material goods. His great problem was his abject poverty with respect to God. The parable doesn't go into great detail about his inner attitude towards God but it is assumed that in him storing up all that he needed, he had dismissed God from his life. Instead of being concerned for God's will he was motivated to take care of himself and to live a life of pleasure.

It's hard to read the above parable without being struck by it. If we're honest, all of us have desires that are out of balance at points in our life. Covetousness isn't just wanting what others have; it's also wanting things in such a way that they become our passion in life. Confronting our desires and taking inventory of our hearts is the only antidote to keeping our hearts set on God and what is important to him.

So, to answer your original question: in summary, we must ultimately pursue the things of God and set aside the cares of this world when the two are at odds. We all need food, clothing, and shelter. But what if I don't have those things? Jesus' answer is God knows what you need and may choose to bring us into a position of great need in life. But food and clothing are not life itself. Man lives by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God. God decrees what our fate will be: whether we live or die. If I can accept that, it is much easier to accept those times in life where I may lack the bare essentials of life itself. It's a call to believe in the goodness and sovereignty of God in our lives.

Ultimately, how I go about living my life with respect to material things is a good indicator of how I relate to my creator…if I am only concerned for the pleasures of this world, God is of no use to me and ultimately, I am of no use to God. And there is only one place for those who are of no use to God.
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Mar 8, 2011, 02:10 PM
    It's not one of those verses one really needs to "read" into. Jakester really summed it up well. However, that verse ALWAYS has to be read along with verse 31.
    lynn53 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2011, 04:55 PM
    Comment on jakester's post
    But what does this verses have to do with a new born baby?
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Mar 8, 2011, 06:32 PM
    Comment on jakester's post
    Why don't you just ask us out right what it has to do with a new born baby? Are you concerned about the welfare of a newborn?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 8, 2011, 07:13 PM

And what does the verse mean to you, if you wish to discuss religious words or how they are used.

Would you like to discuss the meanings of some specific greek wording

Be specific what you wish to discuss about it
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2011, 09:41 PM

but what does this verses have to do with a new born baby?
    Okay, color me confused...
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2011, 08:23 AM

Luke 12:24

Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them: how much more are ye better than the fowls?

A new born baby? Are you sure you are asking about the right verse?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Meaning of complete term #include<stdio.h> means meaning of #includewith definition [ 7 Answers ]

Hello this is raman middha I have a problum in one question meaning of #include<stdio.h> Explain it

Meaning of Luke 9:26-35 [ 3 Answers ]

What is the theological significance of bible passage Luke 9:26-36

Finding a meaning for bible passage (luke 4 verses 18-19) [ 36 Answers ]

I have to find out the meaning of the bible passage Luke 4 verses 18-19 this is it “The Lord's Spirit has come to me, because he has chosen me to tell the good news to the poor. The Lord has sent me to announce freedom for prisoners, to give sight to the blind, to free everyone who suffers,...

Was I Wishing For Lucas or Luke? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm one of those people who thinks something is a sign, like for instance, I just met this guy at the café I go to every night with my best friend to just hang out and relax. I thought he looked familiar and I thought he was cute. We didn't really talk while I was there until I met this girl and we...

Luke warm air [ 3 Answers ]

I also have a GMP100-3 furnace and the air has always been just luke warm. Maybe that is why my gas bills are 300 to 400 a month. The gas pressure you are talking about is the incoming or out of the gas valve? What is the easest way to check it myself?

View more questions Search