Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    awkward4u Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2011, 06:13 PM
    Bio father is deceased. Father listed fled. Husband wants his name put on & to adpt
    "I was 5 months pregnant when I met a man (obviously not the father), and started dating him. He wanted to marry me & raise the baby as it were his own. I married him right before the baby was born. The bio father wanted nothing to do with either of us and came to find out that he had another baby being raised by someone else as well. When baby was born, he signed the birth certificate. He ran off to NYC 2 months later and I haven't seen him since. The bio has passed away a few years ago. My husband of 10 years, and father to the same baby since 3 months old wants to 'adopt' him and have his name on the birth certificate. A) Where do I begin this process and B) Do I first have him removed and then take steps to adopt?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2011, 06:18 PM

Contact the Family court in your area... they will tell you what you have to do and what you can't do. You won't do it without a lawyer or the court.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 7, 2011, 07:45 PM

A) by hiring an attorney
    B) Your husband will adopt, the legal father's removal will be all part of the adoption process. Your attorney will prepare all the paperwork
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 7, 2011, 07:51 PM

Of course the legal father is still considered the legal father and has all those rights until the court orders this changed,
    In some places you can not even change it after periods.

So attempts to find the legal father ( one who signed birth certificate ) will have to be made. And if found and he signs away his rights it will be much easier.

And of course if you have been collecting child support, it would be easy to find him
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 7, 2011, 08:04 PM

Gather all the documentation you can for the bio father including the death certificate. Make sure it is a "certified" copy. Take it with you to a lawyer and present it to them. They can give you an idea of how to proceed. Is the child collecting social security from the deceased parent ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can my husband adopt my son if there is no father listed on birth certificate [ 16 Answers ]

I live in Ca, my husband wants to adopt my 4 year old son. There is no father on his birth certificare and, I have not seen his bio father since I was 2 mounths pregnant. The bio father does not know he was born. My husband has been around since he was 8 mounths old and wands to adopt. How do we...

No father listed on birth certificate how can husband adopt but I know who the dad is [ 2 Answers ]

I know who the dad is he didn't want his name on it .so how can my husband adopt my daughter? And plus I have a pfa on this guy too.it good until dec.18,2011

Does a step father have rights if no father is listed on birth certificate [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter is 8yrs and my husband has been the one that has taken care of her since she was 2 yrs. Her bio father isn't listed on her because but we have had a dna test done. He doesn't want to be part of her life but doesn't know if he wants to sign over his rights! Does my husband have any...

No father listed on birth certificate how can husband adopt [ 15 Answers ]

I live in KS. I don't know who my baby's biological father is, how can my husband adopt? There is no fater listed on the birth certificate. And what if someone later in life were to question if they were the father what would happen then?

View more questions Search