Survivor

Mar 7, 2011, 11:37 AM
    What are your thoughts on buying an e-reader
    Such as a Kindle?

I have mixed feelings on if I'd like to buy one. :p
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2011, 11:41 AM

I don't have one myself, but a lot of my co-workers do. They have cute little stand up cases and sit in the break room on their lunches reading them. They love them. My grandmother received one for christmas this year too. My brother had it all set up and ready for her pretty quickly and she seemed excited about it, it seemed easy to use.

I have mixed feelings too on them. I like the feeling of books, and physically turning the pages. I guess if books stores keep going out of business our only choices will be libraries or e-readers though.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 7, 2011, 11:50 AM

Your local public library may rent them out or even allow them to be checked out for free for a test run. Ask.
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Mar 7, 2011, 11:59 AM

I used to dislike the idea because I like having a physical book in my hands. I'm such a heavy reader though and if I plan on traveling a lot and getting rid of a lot of my possessions (which is what I plan on), an e-reader seems like the best solution... books are HEAVY!

They aren't back-lit and Kindle even has a sharing program up (you can lend your book to other kindle users for a short period), AND there's a library-type program. I am definitely putting it on my birthday wishlist :)
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Mar 7, 2011, 01:02 PM

One pro my friend pointed out is that I'M not much of a library person, I prefer to buy. The Kindle features many free books I might not otherwise try. I could still aways buy the ones I really love.

Another friend pointed out they take away the "romance" of holding/reading a real book. I tend to agree that's a possibility.

I collect antique books and love to search sale racks. I could never give that up, but I do like the idea of having more access via an e-reader.

I just can't make up my mind!

Mar 7, 2011, 01:26 PM

I want to warn you that what I heard about the sharing and library programs was from a friend of mine with a Kindle. I know those programs exist, I'm just not positive they exist for the current Kindle, or if they'll be released with the next one. They are really new and I've heard they're buggy. So do the research, definitely, but I expect this to be a BIG plus for Kindle, especially when they start to improve the programs :)

Mar 7, 2011, 01:46 PM

Okay got to post again!

Here is the lending program: Lending Program

And here is the "library" that allows you to get books formatted for e-readers: World Library

Okay, happy shopping!
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Mar 8, 2011, 11:07 AM

Thanks for the info! :)
    digerdo2 Posts: 60, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2012, 03:25 PM
    You need to be a "prime member" of Amazon to utilize the swapping library. It costs about $80 for the year. You get free shipping on things you buy and some other goodies. Check it out at Amazon.com. You can not download nook books to Kindle nor Kindle books to nooks they have different language "DRM" can't remember what the letters stand for. Check out kindle/support.com
    redlipsticklena Posts: 148, Reputation: 0

Sep 4, 2012, 03:14 PM
    I refuses to buy one. They trying to put library and book stores out of business with that technology crap.

It's not like real books and I don't want one

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Constant thoughts - my thoughts are never ending [ 18 Answers ]

Hello there - I'm trying to get some answers regarding my newest problem. I can't go to my pysch. About this because I've tried but every time I try to explain this to someone (counselor, pysch. parents.. ) they think I have an "issue". ADHD, anxiety, and the list goes on and on. I'm so sick of...

How to make acrobat reader the default pdf reader [ 3 Answers ]

I've recently has some problems with Acrobat Reader which led me to install Foxit Reader making that my default pdf reader. Now, I 've resolved the problem with Acrobat Reader and managed to reinstall it successfully but I can't get it to be my default pdf viewer. What should I do?

Card Reader [ 1 Answers ]

Is a 19-in 1 Digital card reader a good one?

How to become a reader [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my broblem is that , I can't sit to read a book , few munite before I feel boring So if any body may help me by giving some efficient advise or stratigies etc Thank u

View more questions Search