Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vinman64 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2007, 07:24 AM
    Putting a letter in a mailbox
    Is it illeagal to put a letter in someone's mailbox?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 20, 2007, 07:29 AM
    No, just to take one out.

HTH
    Scott<>
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2007, 06:48 PM
    It is NOT illegal.

In fact, I did that just the other day.

Some of my neighbour's mail got mixed in with mine, so I went to their house next door and dropped their mail in their mailbox.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2007, 07:05 PM
    I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think it is illegal to put anything in a mailbox that isn't official US Mail. Like for instance solicitors aren't supposed to put leaflets in mailboxes. If it's somebody else's letter that got mixed up with your mail that would be OK, but a letter you write to a person but don't put a stamp on it and mail it, just put it in their box yourself, I don't think so.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 20, 2007, 08:06 PM
    Well I did some research on this and found this article:

Whose Mailbox is it Anyway? [Mackinac Center for Public Policy]

Now I knew that the USPS does own the mailbox. But I never heardwhere it was illegal to deposit something other that US mail in one. So I looked up the code

United States Postal Service

And couldn't find anything prohibiting putting anything in a box as long as it doesn't damage the box or interfere with the delivering of regular mail.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does she like me? Or are her friends putting her off? [ 5 Answers ]

Ok, so I'm going out with a girl, and I'm really happy, she seems to like me, as she is herself around me. But when she is with her friends, she seems different, she told me it's because she's shy, and I'm the first proper boyfriend she's had, that's OK, but she wants to stop seeing me because she...

Putting a restrictor on a new washer [ 1 Answers ]

Is it OK to put a restricter on a new washer, because of old plumbing, and how do you do it?

Putting on the weight [ 1 Answers ]

What foods can make you gain weight, that have no fats, if you have become ill but have lots of protein and calcium. Which are also tasty as say fast foods. As I like fast foods, but I would like something with more nutrition and quick and easy to make, or even better a ready made meal. I suffer...

Putting her down? [ 12 Answers ]

My dog,a schnauzer terrier cross, has been acting very funny latley She's always been a great dog, good with adults and children, Bit the other day she nearly bit my mom. She's nearly 9 years old And the just day I was petting her, and went straight for my hand she Would have made a nasty hole...

1 mailbox 2 computers [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I tried to get 2 computers (networked) accessing the same mailbox (.pst file). On one of them outlook will not refuse to open the file if it is already opened by the other. This full access on the file and file's folder. They've both got Outlook 97, Windows ME. Is there a workaround? Any...

View more questions Search