Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bryan123456 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2011, 05:12 PM
    I installed a new electric water heater. Now the water fades from hot to cold
    New water heater installed old one was a 30 gal new one is 40 gal. when I run the hot and cold it fades between the hot and cold. I lost some water pressure but not a lot. Can anyone suggest what can be causing this?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 5, 2011, 07:36 PM

Hi Bryan...

Could be that the DIP TUBE got disturbed or was melted during the installation. This could be something you did... could also be a manufacturer defect... ;)

The dip tube usually delivers cold water to the bottom of the water heater where it can be heated and will rise up to the hot water outlet of the water heater to be delivered to the house. If the dip tube is broken/cracked/defective, etc. then cold water simply flows directly over to the hot water outlet without being directed to the bottom of the water heater to be properly heated thereby creating a cycling between hot and cold water at the hot water outlet much like you describe.

To check the dip tube, you would need to remove the cold water nipple and then use a pair of needlenose pliers to reach into the inlet and pull the dip tube out to be inspected.

See images below for more info.

Questions? Let me know, OK?

Mark
    Attached Images

lilpoppa Posts: 118, Reputation: 13

Mar 5, 2011, 09:34 PM
    Just throwing it out there, did you accidentally invert the inlet and outlet when installing the new heater, that could be your problem too.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 6, 2011, 05:21 AM

Hey, you never know, do you? A reasonable answer, for sure!

Mark
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2011, 07:27 AM

Hey Mark

Is dip tube flexible to the point that it can be removed from heater?

Chuck
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 6, 2011, 05:53 PM

Hi Chuck...

Yeah, in most cases the dip tube can be bent pretty far to facilitate removal... :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No hot water coming out of hot water side only cold... hot water heater is working [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I need help bad. I am a woman writing to you whose husband has given up on the problem and will no longer work on this. He doesn't care if we have hot water cause he can take a shower at work. I cannot. It is the dead of winter here in Colorado. We had frozen pipes that burst in the wall...

New hot water heater installed, but no hot water pressure. Plenty of cold water? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I own a small plumbing service and have a problem I've never encountered before. I installed a new top vented gas water heater for a customer. Turned the main back on, bled air out of the lines, etc. Problem is there is no hot water pressure throughout the house. Cold water pressure is fine....

I have very low hot water pressure from my hot water heafrom an electric water heater [ 0 Answers ]

I have very low water pressure from my hot water heater. I can't find anything wrong.. any ideas?

Installed new hot water heater but still no hot water just cold water [ 1 Answers ]

We installed a new hot water heat and we still do not have hot water. We were having our bathroom remodeled at the same time the water heater went out. So now the plumber is saying that the contractor probably put one of the faucets in the bath room backwards so it is prventing the hot water to go...

No hot water in shower and water heater affects both cold and hot water flow [ 1 Answers ]

1. No hot water coming from shower even though there is hot water coming from face basin in same bathroom and throughout the house( moen plumbing) 2. when water heater valve to house is turned off the cold water and hot water from shower does not flow, yet in other faucets throughout the house...

View more questions Search