Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kingle Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2011, 12:07 PM
    How much amp can I add to a subpanel?
    I have two hot and one white(neutral) coming in, 100amp, 240v. I want to add a laundry room and need a subpanel. The only 240v 30A I need is for the new dryer. The rest is 120v for two floresant lights and one ventilation fan and two plug. Would 50A be good? Or do I need to increase the amps in the main service to 200amp?

donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Mar 5, 2011, 03:16 PM

Okay, please bare with me here. I am concerned about your experience level with electricity. Adding a sub-panel is not a simple task. For one thing, you have to work inside the main panel and even if you shut the panel down via the main breaker you can still manage to kill yourself if you hit the wrong terminals.
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Mar 5, 2011, 07:44 PM

50 amps would be fine for just a laundry room. The part I am concerned about is whether you know enough about electrical code requirements to do the job correctly. Things like ground/ neutral isolation, cable types, grounding and bonding, box fill, GFCIs and the like. If you are confident you can do a code compliant job, then OK. However if your main panel is full to the point of needing a subpanel, you might want to think through future expansion and adequacy of your existing service for the long term. It may be worth it just to upgrade the service and install a larger main panel.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2011, 04:49 AM
    I will have to assume that you always had a washer and dryer. Both of these are to be figured in when sizing a service, and should have been included into your existing 100 Amp service.

Adding a subpanel should be fine for these new circuits since, I assume, they were already connected.

Back to you, did you already have the washer and dryer, or are they new.

Mar 21, 2011, 09:41 AM
    Comment on EPMiller's post
    Thank you for answering my question. I have been taught how to run wire and did have some schooling about electricity.

Mar 21, 2011, 12:03 PM
    Comment on donf's post
    Thank you for your concern. I will be very careful. In case I could not manage it, I will hire a electrician.

Mar 21, 2011, 12:05 PM
    Comment on tkrussell's post
    Only the dryer was included in the main panel. All other items are added on new.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

100 amp service, add a subpanel [ 2 Answers ]

I'm going to be finishing my basement and needing to look at my current full 100A panel and expanding it. Currently has the following circuits: 20A kitchen 20A kitchen 40A range 20A water heater 15A basement lights 30A air cond 15A lights 15/15A furnace 15A lights

Add outlets off a subpanel [ 6 Answers ]

Hi all, I am working on a three family home and need to add outlets to three bedrooms without disrupting too much of the place. The owner of the place replaced the service panels recently. The panels are in the basement and the unit that needs the outlets is on the third floor. I am...

Add 100 amp subpanel to 200amppanel [ 1 Answers ]

Wiring diagram for 100 amp 4 feet away 200 amp

View more questions Search