Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    8887741 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2011, 09:50 AM
    Garnishment and Judgement
    How to stop a wage garnishment cause by a judgement that was filed after statue of limitation?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 5, 2011, 10:24 AM

First let me say that the laws for these transactions vary from state to state and you don't mention what state you are in.

If you did not respond to the summons in a timely manner, or didn't respond at all, then the judgment was awarded by default. In order for a court to set aside a judgment you must be able to show that the judgment was entered in error, that you had good reason for failing to respond to the summons, and/or that there is a good chance that you will prevail if the judgment is set aside and the case reopened.

Of course I am only assuming that you did not respond, or were late in responding.

If you intend to have this reopened I suggest hiring a lawyer to assist you.

Tick
    8887741 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2011, 11:23 AM

This happened in California and it was a default judgement. The case was filed in court after 5 years from a demand letter to pay in full.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 5, 2011, 12:09 PM

Have it reopened then on the basis that the judgment was entered in error (after statute ran out, and it is four years in California).

Note, when a statute of limitation expires, it does not mean that the debt goes away, it means you can use it as a defense to stop collectors from collecting through the court system. They can still try to collect other ways.

Tick
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 16, 2011, 04:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 8887741 View Post
    this happened in california and it was a default judgement. the case was filed in court after 5 years from a demand letter to pay in full.
    But this doesn't explain WHY there was a default judgment. A default judgment occurs if you fail to respond to a summons or don't show for a hearing. So HOW did a default judgment come about?

SOL is also a complex thing. You may think the SOL has expired but there may be something that set it starting again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Judgement/garnishment [ 2 Answers ]

My ex husband has gotten a judgement against me for my non payment of a property settlement agreement with him. I don't know of any place he could try to get money from me except my wages. What would he have to do to try to garnish my wages and how much could he get if he can do it? Also, can he...

Judgement against me do they have to go back to court to get garnishment [ 2 Answers ]

I lost my case in court,does the debt collector have to go bach to court to get a garnishment on my pay or can he just do it?

Overturning a defaulted garnishment judgement [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a garnishment judgement against me that was won by default.It was from a payday advance company.After they garnished my check I asked for an istallment order.I was granted that but have since defaulted on payments. They have filed to reinstate the garnishment but in the meantime I...

NJ Judgement & Wage Garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I recently lost a court case and the judgement is for $15K. What is the max amount they can garnish my wages for? What if I try to make payments with the debtor and they do not accept them. What is a reasonable payment amount for $15k? THANK YOU! :eek:

Judgement and Notification and Garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

If a creditor seeks a judgement against you, will they be required to notify you before the judgement is acquired? If not, can they garnish your social security income without notification?

View more questions Search