Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    golucky05 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2007, 10:46 PM
    95 dodge dakota 4cyl is overcharging!
    Hello! I have a 1995 dodge dakota sport, 4cyl 5 speed with a problem that no mechanic will touch! I have replaced the alternator, computer ECM(has the voltage regulator built in), wiring to the altenator, a new fuel pump, distrubtor, pick-up coil, new battery and connectors to the battery. My truck starts and runs great but it's overcharging and battery reads over 16v! The mechanic who's had this truck for almost 2 weeks and he said that he has rewired and check most of everything. What else could it be? This truck has been a great running truck until my starting problem turn out to be fuel related and now this. Anyone had simliar issues with this? I talked to Dodge and they didn't know either what could be doing this.:confused: :( Thanks to anyone that has an idea. My only thought now is that something is not grounded right and/or maybe the starter is shorted (although it seems to be working okay) or maybe my ignition switch is bad or something. I'm stumped!
    Vandy-1 Posts: 99, Reputation: 6

Jan 20, 2007, 03:24 AM
    If your not having any problems maybe the gauge is actually giving you a false reading ?
    Take a multimeter and check the alternator output to see what it is saying the alt is putting
    Out. If the reading is 13--14 volts then your gauge is likely faulty.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2007, 06:53 AM
    I agree with Vandy-1's suggestion. If a DMM confirms the voltage is too high, it must be a bad voltage regulator. It's unfortunate to have to replace an ECM because of a faulty voltage regulator.
    golucky05 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2007, 01:59 AM
    95 dodge truck overcharging issue SOLVED!

I took my truck in to 1st mechanic whom worked on it when it had a faulty fuel pump about 3 weeks ago. I turned it in to my boss's brother thinking that the alternator was bad and he agreed to replace it with a good price. It turns out that this mechanic had the truck for over a week and a half and told me everything was wrong with the charging system. I spend many hours and money having him fix every componet that makes up the whole charging system after all of this, it still had a problem of charging the battery over 16+ volts. By this time, he had given up altogether working on my truck and basically said that my truck was was a piece of crap. That well, pissed me off! So I left and took it back to the first mechanic.

The overcharging problem turn out to be a shreded ground wire located behind the engine block. It had overheated and severed itself. This mechanic said that it was obvious that this wire was the problem because it was the main ground wire for the computer. This was why the voltage wasn't regulating, it wasn't grounded! It took him an hour to fix and only a charged $100 bucks to replace the wire rather than the other guys charging almost $600 for nothing! Since the wire was replaced, the truck is back to it's ol self again. Thanks to those who responded to my question. Now we know that one little wire can cost a lot as for me it cost 600 dollars to figure out. Now this information is on the internet and anyone who has a problem like this, don't get fooled or robbed! Be sure to check the wires!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2007, 08:12 AM
    Good story. It shows how vulnerable we are and how careful we must be in selecting who we allow to work on our vehicles. Pretty poor detective work, on behalf of the first mechanic.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport [ 2 Answers ]

I have a starting problem... after it sits for a while when you try to start it it will not start But if you try it then turn off the swich then try it again 2 times it will start.. once it starts it runs smooth no missing but after it sits you have to turn over the motor turn off switch a couple...

89 Dodge Dakota [ 18 Answers ]

I have a dodge dakota when I turn the key nothing happens not one thing all fuses are good please help I ckecked all of the fuses under the hood and in the cab I died while driving it down the road

2000 Dodge Dakota [ 1 Answers ]

Help! I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota . The High beam lights work as well as the indicator also the daytime running/ fog lights work but I have no LOW BEAM lights. Anyone have an idea about the wiring diagram or relays. Thanks... Rick...

89 dodge dakota [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dakota 2.5 liter that is running very rough, it sounds like it is misfiring, I replaced the distributor and rotor, it is better but is still popping. Any advice would be very helpful.

View more questions Search