Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vnaveen75 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2011, 11:57 AM
    Tenent complaint to Tenent board about land lord.
    I am out of town for two months. In that months, I kept my cousin to collect the rents.

At that time our furnace went down for basement unit. We tried to fix it but they are not able to fix it. Other units heat is coming good. Tenenat said we did not get enough heat so he does not pay the rent. In mean time I called tennnet for rent. I request and gave two small heaters. Once I came our technetion found out a small moter sends pressure to control all units. We need to replace the coil inside the moter. We finally fixed in 3rd month. My tenent did not paid for 3 and half months and again claims that she is sick for those days for no heat.

Which going she gave complaints to CITY about other which she is not entitled to say that. She compainted to health canada, she compainted fire marshel.

Is their any way I can collect the rent back. Is their any chances to win the court case.

Regards,

JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2011, 02:26 PM

Was there adequate heat... or not. Did the City investigate? Were you cited?

You can always go to Small Claims Court, sue her for unpaid rent, see what the Court decides. Unless the apartment was uninhabitable you SHOULD get at least a portion of your rent.

Mar 7, 2011, 10:47 AM
    My tenent complaints to City, Landlord board, Fire marshals, Every department came and inspected asked me to do few things. I will leave in Toronto. City people came and inspected asked me to renovate other stuff as tenent gave complaint on other things also. Finally tenent left the building. Right now I am working on renovating stuff. They did not gave my heaters which we supplied. They did not give spare keys. We do have court notice with in 3 weeks which tenant gave in tenent board. Wondering what tenent borad will tell us. Tenenat demanding two months rent because for no heating. She is sick for 4 weeks. Total demand amout is $1700. As tenent owes me November 200, December 750, jan 750 and march 750. As we have deposit for one month.

Instead of paying the rent tenent complains to land lord board that landlord went inside the house without notice which is not true and no proof. A list of things write to tenent board.

Regards,

AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 7, 2011, 12:04 PM
    So your tenant has vacated the premises. When? She owes you for Nov. Dec. Jan. and March. Why not February? You say you have kept a deposit. What sort of deposit, damages or last month rent?

She claims a set-off for lack of heat.

One doesn't get sick because it's cold in the house; one instead must wear warm clothes and is miserable. Worst case scenario: the tenant dies from exposure. Clearly that didn't happen. If it was bad she should have moved out and charged you for substitute housing. She didn't do that apparently.

What is this landlord board? Some unofficial body or does it have legal authority to impose some sort of sanctions?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2011, 06:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vnaveen75 View Post
    At that time our furnance went down for basement unit. We tried to fix it but they are not able to fix it. Other units heat is comming good. Tenenat said we did not get enough heat so he does not pay the rent.
    Hello v:

If the furnace went down in the middle of winter in TORONTO, CANADA, I can imagine they didn't get enough heat. I don't know if you're going to win at the board, or not. Let us know what happens.

excon
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2011, 06:11 PM

Pay an electrician to wire in some electric Baseboard heat... it can be done quickly... and cheaply, and they will get some really nice electric bills to pay. You ARE providing heat that way (as you must)... and it buys you time to get the less epensive heating problem sorted out before you get another tenent. Yeah they can expect to have heat... but they can't dictate what sort of heat (space heaters don't count most places). Assuming you aren't responsible for utilities in the lease that is.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 7, 2011, 07:49 PM

I would go after the tenant for back rent. If you reacted reasonably to the orders from the city etc. the court is likely to side with you. If it doesn't you aren't out too much.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 7, 2011, 07:55 PM

I may have to go with the tenant on this one, you went several months without fixing their heat, merely wanted to give them small heaters ( are you paying the electric bill ?)

Does not matter if you are there, or not, you call repair person and pay them to fix it, that is what a landlord does.

I would walk away, and not try to explain in court why you did not provide required heat to a renter in the middle of winter.

Please give this answer ( Think I am the judge) why did you wait till you got back to call the repair man, who easily got it fixed ? Why did you not call the repair person the day you were told the heat was out

Mar 8, 2011, 06:51 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    When I am leaving city she owes $200. I kept My cousin to take care of building. Building consits of 6 units. When ever my cousin asked about rent. The tenent use to say we only deal with landlord. They never paid and found issue of heat. Cousin called repair person who is our old eletrical person whom I did repairs before. He tried to fix it but he could not able to do it. He said need to wait until temparatures are plus degree because if we stop the furnace other 4 units will get effected. As I requested the repair person through phone. So he brought two small heaters and gave the tenent.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 8, 2011, 06:57 PM

Does not matter if tenant owed 1000 dollars, you have a obligation as a landlord to fix things, even if you are out of town. But yes, you may shut off the entire building for 20 minute or 40 minutes where you fix it for the entire building,
    These are not acceptable excuses He does not make the call to shut units down, that is your job,

Sorry but be glad I was not the renter , I would have had it fixed and you would have just had to pay for it, which is what your renter should have done

Mar 8, 2011, 06:57 PM
    Comment on smoothy's post
    The unit contains ceneralized heating system and two base board heaters. Base borad heaters are working good. They don't want to use it because tenent pays the electricity bill. Issue is centeralized heaters. Centerlised heater works with hot water flow. Colis will get heated while hot water moves. We recently found that a small moter which keeps the same pressure of heat in all units. We replaced that moter.

Mar 8, 2011, 07:01 PM
    Comment on AK lawyer's post
    November month she owns $200, Dec 750, jan 750, feb750. On march 1st the tenent vacated. Tenent kept the deposit & Damages of last month rent.

Mar 8, 2011, 07:03 PM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    City inspected and asked landlord to fix heating in particular time frame or else get fined. We fixed in time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are my rights as a tenent? [ 7 Answers ]

I am in the last month of my lease and cannot afford to pay as my husband is out of work. I called my landlord on the 12th (it took so long because we were trying other ways to come up with the money) to advise him that we would be moving out as we knew we were unable to pay and in the last month...

Tenent right [ 2 Answers ]

I live in the bronx my landlord lives upstairs. I paid my rent on the first every month. I told her that I might be moving. I paid November rent and on the 21 of November I inform her that I was moving out the first week of November today is the 4th and she still telling me that I still have to pay...

Tenent evicted [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a home in December it was a 3 apartment unit in Indiana and it had 1 tenent there with no lease who paid weekly rent he got behind once and I explained to him that he couldn't do that again as I have to have rent on time or he would have to move. Now he is in his 3rd week behind and I told...

Tenent rights [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new tenent in a townhome in Boise, Idaho. I moved in and immediately I had a bad furnace, the took 3 days to fix it, it was a miserable freezing 3 days. The water heater was noted to have a major leak, he arranged to have it fixed. The plummers made one attempt to enter and fix the problem....

View more questions Search