Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bellagiodude Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2007, 08:37 PM
    The Bad Dentist
    I took my son to the Dentist 2 years ago. The dentist did some horrible things to my son. He did a root canal, that didn't needed to be done caused his tooth to split and half of it to fall out. He put my son through hell. I told the dentist that we wouldn't be back. The dentist charged us for the work and including the work he was supposed to do which never got done. I told the dentist that we wouldn't pay. About 18 months later we got a letter from a lawyer stating that the Dentist was suing us. I told the lawyers office that we weren't going to pay due to the fact the work was not completely done. The lawyer's office said that we could go to jail. I told the lawyers that this is a civil matter and that you cannot go to jail for not paying your dentist bill. He told me that this was "theft of service" and it constitutes criminal activities.

I had never heard anything like that I was forced to pay the remander of what the dentist charged plus lawyers fees. What could I have done differently? Could we have gone to jail? I think about investigating what he charged my insurance. I wondering if he charged for the whole treatment rather than the just the damage he did.
    chippers Posts: 440, Reputation: 88

Jan 19, 2007, 08:55 PM
    It sounds more like he's a debt collector. And using unfair tactics to collect a debt. Its your best bet to contact an attorney regarding the debt and save all communications. Next time he calls' referr him to your attorney. Also contact your insurance company regarding the charges. They can investigate him for insurance fraud. Regardless of shoddy work, he can demand to get paid. But you can contest it. Take your son to another dentest. Your attorney can request a written report on the damage to your son's teeth. As for getting paid for work not done, he can't emand that. Ask your insurance company for a complete print out from what the dentist submitted to be paid for. You have the right to contest a debt. They are not allowed to threaten you with jail time to collect a debt.

Read the bottom of the letter. If it starts like "this is an attempt to collect a debt...." then it's a debt colector. Nasty little booger.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 19, 2007, 08:58 PM
    First rule never listen to the other sides attorey, they lie, to collect their money. Lying is common and sadly the standard practice in money collection, they will tell you that you will go to jail, that they will be coming tomorrow and take your car, that they will come and take your TV.

Only do business in writing, they will deny anything they tell you over the phone.

No if you were in criminal trouble the DA or police would be talking to you, not the lawyer of the dentist.

Now of course the trouble is right now it is just your word against the denist that the work was done wrong, and at times teeth break when they are doing a root canal esp if part of the tooth is really bad, and that is why they are doing the canal to start with.

Perhaps it did not go as planned but it does not mean it is wrong.
    Now what you needed to do, or do is go to another dentist that will say in court it was done wrong.

If so then you can sue them for the money to fix it right.

You need to document by another dentist that the work was wrong,
    You need to not talk to any collection people over the phone, in writing only.

And expect them to try more illegal thins, like getting a judgement without notifing you, so I would be checking my credit report on a regular basis at this point
    ryan23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2010, 02:44 PM
    I hate the dentist worst thing I ever did small smiles dentist sucks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad luck, bad karma, or bad self-esteem? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently heard once again a comment I've heard many, MANY times over the past several years: "You and your husband have worse luck than anyone else I know!" and I have one question: "Why is that?" You see, just about the time we get to the point we can manage to keep up on all our monthly...

Dentist bill out of control, please help! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I recently received an $1800 dentist bill, of which 80% I don't believe I should be liable for... Basically, I went to the dentist several times last year, and apparently the charges for 2006 exceeded my dental health yearly limit. Therefore this $1800 are the charges in access of that...

View more questions Search