Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jen114 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2011, 03:00 PM
    Left states at 9 years old do I need to pay tax
    I immigrated to Europe Malta when I was 9 years old that wS 21 years ago now. I never worked in the states I am planning in moving back to states in October. Am I exempt in filing tax returns?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 3, 2011, 04:10 PM

You haven't worked in the US, so no, you don't have to file taxes for all of those years you weren't there. As soon as you get a job in the US, and living there, then you start filing income tax.

Tick
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 4, 2011, 12:08 AM

A U.S. citizen or resident must report worldwide income even when he or she does not live in the U.S. If your total worldwide income exceeds the filing requirement, a U.S. citizen or resident must file your U.S. tax return. If you paid taxes in the foreign country, you will claim credit for taxes paid in the foreign country by filing Form 1116 or can file form 2555 Foreign Earned Income Exclusion. Even if you have a filing requirement, the chances are you will not pay any U.S. tax or pay very little U.S. tax.
    Another filing requirement is Form TD F 90-22.1. Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Mar 14, 2011, 05:37 PM
    If you are a US citizen you need to file a tax return even if you do not live in the US as long as your income is above the limit. You can exclude a certain amount from being taxed on form 2555.

You can see the limits here:
    http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/iq/Other-Tax-Situations/Do-I-Need-to-File-a-2010-Income-Tax-Return-/GEN12413.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My employer forgot to pay my social security tax and medicare tax for 8 years. [ 7 Answers ]

Dear all- I would like to ask all your favors if you know good tips for this issue... I was full time employee of the employer "J" from May 2000 through August 2008. After I left J and became a freelancer, we found out that J didn't pay half part of social security tax and medicare tax for...

F1 in the States for 5 years by 2010, eligible for $8000 home buyer tax credit? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi By September 2010 I will be in the State on F1 for 5 years. So I think I should be considered resident Alien (for tax purpose). However, I will always fail the resident alien test because none of the days as F1 counts. I want to buy a house before April 1st this year, and I...

Which states to I pay income tax to [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I are full-time RV workampers. We have no designated home state. My husband's drivers license is Kansas, where we used to live. My drivers license is Montana, where we were when my Kansas license expired. The only property we own is our motorhome and our Jeep Wrangler. Both...

Does Tax Levy apply to H1B visa holder left US for 3 years? [ 1 Answers ]

I was a F-1/H1-B visa holder stayed in the US during 1995 to 2005. I left US for good at the beginning of 2005 and paid taxes up to 2004. I left my checking and saving accounts open there for various of purposes, with about 1,500 USD in it. On Oct. 2008, I found all the money were withdrawn under...

J1 for 5 years and H1 now,should I pay Social security and medicare tax?Thanks [ 1 Answers ]

I have been J1 for 5 years and now I have H1. Do I need to pay social security and medicare tax for the first three years or when should I pay those tax? Am I a resident tax payer right after I hold H1 visa? Thanks

View more questions Search