Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2007, 07:40 PM
    Heat pump noise.
    This is the first house I've had that the outside condenser unit runs year round. In fact, we have 2! Downstairs is all nat gas, and upstairs is electric forced air. Home is new construction.
    My ques is when the heat is on, there is a purge of hot steamy air that exits out the side of the house through a PVC pipe. It is really loud and was wondering if there was a way to muffle this noise. Do they make anything? Or could I?
    Stubby74 Posts: 34, Reputation: 4

Jan 19, 2007, 08:58 PM
    Closing that vent off or blocking in any way will shut your heat down! That is the exhaust for you gas furnace and will have pressure switches inside your furnace that act as safety devices... so when air is slowed it will trip the switch and lockout until enough air is moving. You may be able to put a 90 degree or 45 degree pvc fitting outside depending on your furnace specs... but check with those 1st!! Brian
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2007, 02:51 PM
    Thanks for the response. Good advice!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2007, 03:43 PM
    Look into replacing the existing pipe with a larger one. Replacing say a 2'' pipe with a 3'' inch one would slow the air flow down and should reduce noise. It would also reduce the back pressure perhaps increasing the air flow and messing up the careful adjustment the technician made on start up. If you do anything to it, you need the system readjusted.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2007, 04:34 PM
    You have a 90 plus furnace to change the vent pipe size will not make it quieter. They all will make noise at the vent pipe, some louder than others. You may think of having it moved from one side of the house to the other. For instance bryant or carrier makes a low hollow roar lennox pulse makes a pulsating sound. The steam and the sound seams normal to me.
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2007, 11:00 AM
    T-Top, you are right, it is normal. All the houses sound the same around me and all have these Goodman HVAC systems. Like I said, I'm new to these and learning more about them as I go. This is a very energy efficient home and I don't want to disturb anything that works fine. Currently the vent pipe is 2" exiting out the side of the house with an 90* elbow. Grated cap on the end. Your idea makes the most sense, but for now I can live with it. Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace (heat pump) making *really* loud noise. [ 2 Answers ]

Seeing as I don't know next to anything about heating/ac, I decided I'd post here to see if anyone had any idea. The setup is some old heat pump/furnace/water heater/etc, which all of a sudden at around 3:00am this morning decided to make a VERY loud noise. I had to shut it off (the furnace is a...

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

Electric heat pump auxilery heat problem [ 4 Answers ]

Equipment: Trane XL1400 4 years old Auxilery heat: Strips... 2 -60Amp circuits Filters changed every 30 days I cleaned outdoor unit summer 2006, as every year. Thermostat: Honeywell Chromotherm II Problem: I have been noticing at times the aux heat kicking in at times I think it should not....

Lennox heat pump makes noise, slow condenser fan [ 1 Answers ]

Lennox, 20r-48 heat pump ac, roof mount in Phoenix, AZ outside temp 30-65 deg f. My heat pump makes a howl noise from the condenser fan and the fan speed is slow. Condenser coils frost outside but I haven't looked at the coils this time of the year in the past due to no need, (good performance and...

View more questions Search