Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CelloGirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2011, 07:44 PM
    How long does snug take to heal?
    I've had a snug piercing for a couple months, it's just one of my 13 piercings. Its not infected and I clean it 4 times a day, but its still very sore and I can barely touch my ear. Also, my rook hurts and I got it done a couple months ago. Is there any way I can hurry the healing process or ease the pain?
    HorrorQueen Posts: 56, Reputation: 3

Apr 11, 2011, 07:06 AM
    Taking an anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen may ease your discomfort, because it is the swelling in the piercing that normally causes the pain and irritation. Also, you are cleaning your piercing way too much. If you have been cleaning it 4 times daily for 2 months you have given it no time to begin the healing process; every time it begins to heal you are cleaning away all of the good bacteria.

For the first week 3 times a day is plenty, and after that I would clean it once a day for the rest of the month. If it starts to leak fluid and you get a build up, clear that away, but if you continue to clean it four times a day it never has chance to start the healing process, which is why it is still hurting.

Good luck
    ramona_ Posts: 222, Reputation: 47

Apr 11, 2011, 11:01 AM
    Comment on HorrorQueen's post
    Great advice.
    ramona_ Posts: 222, Reputation: 47

Apr 11, 2011, 11:04 AM
    Snug's typically take 6 months, sometimes longer, to heal even when well looked after. They usually stay swollen and sore during the majority of that 6 months because:

• A snug piercing goes through cartilage which is simply a harder type of tissue to heal.
    • The fold the piecing goes through tends to be fairly thick. This means the piecing goes through a lot of tissue which takes longer to heal.
    • The shape of the fold the piercing goes through is rounded/curved. This results in a bit of constant pressure on the piercing from the jewelry, which prolongs the healing.
    • The piercing is on the outer part of the ear, meaning it is more likely to get bumped, snagged and knocked around in the course of daily life.

For cleaning advice, HorrorQueen's answer was spot on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long does it take for a stoved finger to heal? [ 6 Answers ]

How long does it take for a stoved finger to heal?

How long does a swollen ankle take to heal? [ 3 Answers ]

Friday November 26th 2010 , I was warming up for gym class, and we were playing volleyball, and after we either spiked or volleyed it over the net we had to go run to get it, so I did, and as I was running ( this sounds funny but it was painful) as I was running I tripped over my own foot, and now...

How long will it take for my Cartilage piercing to heal ? [ 1 Answers ]

Basically, ive had this cartilage piercing for 2 and a half weeks now and it still hurts to sleep on, touch, and twist, when I clean it after it turns red and stings :S , is this normal ?

How long for bone graft to heal? [ 8 Answers ]

At the beginning of April, I had a tooth extracted and a bone graft done, so that I can have an implant done later in the year. Now, the gum has healed up well, the stitches are out, but it is still sore when you press on it, and I feel as if there is less there than around it. Will the bone...

How Long To Heal? [ 1 Answers ]

How long does it take to heal from a broken shoulder? How long does it take to recover from a collarbone fracture? Clavicle fractures should heal completely within 12 weeks, but the pain usually subsides within a few weeks. Often patients are back to full activities before 12 weeks has passed,...

View more questions Search