Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mbulrich Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2011, 04:48 PM
    Scammed By My Sister
    In October of 2005, my sister called me to inquire whether I had paid $1,000 back to my father that I had borrowed earlier in the year. I told her I had not and that I had sold my house and was now able to do it. I was living in a group home at the time and my sister suggested that since she worked at a bank, she could save me the wire fee and that I should just send her a cashier's check for $1,000 and she would just be able to deposit it into Dad's account because she worked at the same bank that he banked at. I sent her the cashier's check and trusted that she had deposited it into Dad's account. I was living in Florida at the time and my father and sister lived in Iowa. I recently found out that she did not deposit the cashier's check into Dad's account after all. I was unemployed at the time and was living off the proceeds of my home. I was also disabled and awaiting pay from Social Security Disability. My sister would send cheap little gifts and a $20 bill here and there and then in 2008, I received my back pay from SSDI and 1 month prior to doing so, I let my sister know that I would be receiving back pay and what the amount was. I was unaware at the time that she had kept the $1,000 in 2005 that was intended for my father and I wanted to show my appreciation for her gifts and all her caring, so I sent her a $1,500 cashier's check. Now in 2011, she denies ever having received any money from me for anything. She is saying that I am sick and that I am basically delusional. I have documented proof that she has received two separate cashier's checks from me. What can I do? All the gifts and cash she had been sending me from approximately March of 2006 until September of 2008 were either my money or paid for by the $1,ooo cashier's check that she kept instead of depositing it into Dad's account. Please can someone help me with this matter?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2011, 06:16 PM

I don't understand the issue. She says you didn't send her money; you say you did.

Is she claiming you owe your father the money?

If so, she would have to come to your State to sue you. I'm not saying she can't make your life miserable in the meantime but legally that's all she can do.

If you want to send her the proof that the checks were payable to her. Do NOT, of course, send the originals.

Mar 2, 2011, 07:34 PM
    Hi JudyKayTee,
    What I am saying is that she kept the money and did not deposit it into Dad's account and then sent me little gifts and money and then I sent another $1,500 to her to pay her back for what she was supposedly doing for me. In actuality, it was my money that she was buying the gifts with because she never did pay my father the money I sent her. She scammed me and I would like to know how I can make her pay me back?
    mbulrich
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 2, 2011, 07:43 PM

She scammed your father, by not paying him, let your dad know , send him and her copies of the proof of payment and tell dad that she is suppose to pay you the money

Mar 2, 2011, 07:50 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    She is denying even knowing anything about it. I would like to know if I could sue her in small claims court. I have a receipt of the $1,000 cashier's check and I know that I can get a copy of the $1,500 cashier's check from my credit union. If they were made out to her then she can lie and say that I owed her the money. I only have proof that I paid her, not what it was for. So she gets away with stealing from me? By the way, I am disabled and I have been financially exploited. Isn't there something I can do to make her pay me back, legally?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 2, 2011, 08:12 PM

Your dad can sue her, since you sent the money to him, he is the one now short the money.
    She does not owe you the money back, she owes it to him, since you sent it for that purpose.

You had no agreement with her to pay you back.

Next she stole from your dad, not you, since the minute you paid your dad back by sending the check it was his money
    c7s1c9 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2011, 07:25 PM
    I do see that you say you are disabled--may I ask how?

Mar 18, 2011, 08:18 PM
    Comment on c7s1c9's post
    You may ask, but that is a personal matter. Why do you want to know?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 18, 2011, 08:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by c7s1c9 View Post
    I do see that you say you are disabled--may I ask how?
    I don't see how that is necessary to this inquiry.

Mar 18, 2011, 08:56 PM
    Well --if she was physically or possibly mentally disabled she could be maybe possibly misunderstanding something--is all.
    Sorry didn't mean anything by it.

Mar 18, 2011, 09:02 PM
    Comment on c7s1c9's post
    Well it was in the letter you wrote--YOU must of thought it was important for us to know--I was curious because you said you were in the health care--thought maybe you were physical disabled --just trying to give you a little credit for being in the that professional plus be disabled--WOW

Mar 18, 2011, 09:13 PM
    Do you have a relationship with this family member?
    I believe this isn't between you and her--it is between her Father and herself.
    Was the check in your fathers name? Or her name? How was she to know that it was for your Father--did you tell her that-?

Mar 18, 2011, 09:14 PM
    I have a family member that takes and takes from the rest of the family--never gives back--YOU do get tired of moochers don't you?

Mar 21, 2011, 07:01 AM
    Comment on J_9's post
    I see that you are the expert here--
    How do you answer questions from people when you can't know the whole story?
    I think this person is running away from something--trying to blame someone else for HER scamming.
    Read between the lines here.
    Why didn't this person just put it into the fathers account in the first place?
    A little fishy I would say.
    I think this person here is the one that OWES the money.
    Just wanting to blame someone else for their wrong doing.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2011, 07:57 AM

Well, this is not a chat site so information is what "we" provide.

Everyone comes from a different place so the opinions/answers vary.

You are doing the same thing you ask J9 about - you are "thinking" that this person owes the money and is want to blame someone. You have no information that supports that theory.

"We" don't fill in the blanks. "We" answer based on what is provided. Sometimes the info is wrong or insufficient or somewhere in between. When you answers thousands of questions there is no time to dissect every one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm being scammed! [ 15 Answers ]

Hello everyone.. I'm not sure if this is the proper forum to put this thread, so if it needs to be moved, fine by me! I'm being scammed! And I don't know what to do. I got an extended warranty on my car in March.. My trannie went out about two years ago and cost me $1800. I saw the commercial.....

Am I being Scammed? [ 4 Answers ]

I've been corresponding with a beautiful Ghanaian from Kasoa Ghana for several weeks. I want to believe everything that is said, supposedly by her, that I don't really know for sure if it her or someone else sending pictures. She asked for me to send her money to renew her passport. I did and it...

Am I being scammed? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I check out a person who may or may not be scamming me. I have been scammed badly in the last six months and do not want it to happen again if I can help it. Thank you.

I've been scammed? [ 10 Answers ]

I moved 150 miles to another state for a job I was offered. I rented a house in the same town as the job. I moved in a month and a half ago. Since moving in they have had to cut a hole in the wall to fix plumbing, we have an air conditioner that doesn't work properly (doesn't cool below 83...

Was I Scammed? [ 6 Answers ]

I am pretty new to this bank stuff. I opened an account with wells fargo not too long ago, got a credit card and have had good credit blah blah. THis woman called me today from "Membership Services" based in Florida. They are offering free trips to people with good credit and stuff like that. I...

View more questions Search