Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Mar 2, 2011, 02:29 PM
    Question about hauntings and religion
    I happened upon another question about a haunting wherein many of the answers emphasized the necessity of using Jesus, Allah, or God's name to defeat evil spirits-since humans don't have the power to fight off spirits. Someone said that wherever Jesus is, demons are not.

I am fascinated with this topic-whether it's real or folklore-and the answers that I cited above really have me wondering about things such as stigmata and possession (stuff I've seen in movies). Does that stuff actually happen and if so why does it sometimes happen to religious people (if divine authority drives away demons, how are they able to possess the religious)?

I know some people don't believe in hauntings and spirits, but my question applies to both reality and folklore-so any thoughts would be great. Thanks! (if this belongs in more of a discussion forum-I apologize)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 2, 2011, 02:32 PM

Stigmata (the wounds of Christ) are supposed to be from God, not from a demon. It's a Catholic phenomenon (mostly).

Mar 2, 2011, 02:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Stigmata (the wounds of Christ) are supposed to be from God, not from a demon. It's a Catholic phenomenon (mostly).
    Oh. I don't know why I never knew that. Thanks for the info. That's a whole other can of worms for me to look into, now!

So I suppose my question only applies to possession and/or other demon hauntings of religious people.

Thanks!
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2011, 09:15 AM

Well, I can speak only concerning the Christian who has been born again. Satan no longer has any real power of them. They can allow a demon to oppress them and give demons access to their minds by not knowing the word of God and who they are in Christ but they cannot be pocessed by a demon. Because the Holy Spirit lives in them. Plus the Bible tells us point blank... Greater is he that is in YOU than he that is in the world. So for the Christian, satan has no authority over them. Because Christ conquered all of that and bought us back at the cross. That is why using Jesus name is so powerful... he defeated Satan and his demons. They are subject to him.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2011, 09:18 AM
    I've notice that atheists and agnostics rarely report being haunted or any supernatural happenings. I wonder if there's a relation there.

Mar 4, 2011, 11:27 AM

NeedKarma-I've made that connection in my mind too.

I, for example, believe in God and really want to believe in the paranormal. I've had several experiences with other people around where they swear it was paranormal but I always write it off if there's any possible way it can be explained naturally. As badly as I want to see a ghost, I think it will be impossible for me to do so unless it's a see-through dead relative or friend who's come back to haunt me. Even then I might check myself in to the asylum.

Agnostics and especially Atheists are especially prone to look at things from a scientific and material standpoint. Anything that could be interpreted as odd or ghostly by someone who's less prone to that way of thinking would be explained away by a more scientific mind.

While I tend to be more grounded in my way of thinking, there's a little room in my mind for the mystical.

ClassyT-thank you for taking time to answer my inquiries!
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2011, 11:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by southamerica View Post
    While I tend to be more grounded in my way of thinking, there's a little room in my mind for the mystical.
    I don't see any reason why atheists and agnostics would not be as grounded as you yet they often are not involved in anything mystical. It's almost as if a strong faith predisposes one to believe in ghosts and supernatural phenomena.

Mar 4, 2011, 11:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    It's almost as if a strong faith predisposes one to believe in ghosts and supernatural phenomena.
    That's kind of what I was trying to say. I think because some people look for natural causes to things while others look for paranormal/divine/mystical causes, different people would interpret the same experience completely differently. Maybe it's the way our minds are individually wired.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 4, 2011, 06:24 PM
    I happened upon another question about a haunting wherein many of the answers emphasized the necessity of using Jesus, Allah, or God's name to defeat evil spirits-since humans don't have the power to fight off spirits. Someone said that wherever Jesus is, demons are not.

I am fascinated with this topic-whether it's real or folklore-and the answers that I cited above really have me wondering about things such as stigmata and possession (stuff I've seen in movies). Does that stuff actually happen and if so why does it sometimes happen to religious people (if divine authority drives away demons, how are they able to possess the religious)?

I know some people don't believe in hauntings and spirits, but my question applies to both reality and folklore-so any thoughts would be great. Thanks! (if this belongs in more of a discussion forum-I apologize)
    Back to your original question. You might find this link interesting reading when you have time. It speaks directly on the subject.

What the Bible says about: Ghosts, and Psychics
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 6, 2011, 08:23 AM
    I've notice that atheists and agnostics rarely report being haunted or any supernatural happenings. I wonder if there's a relation there.
    You are stating this 'tongue in cheek' ? Right ?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2011, 05:04 PM
    I don't see any reason why atheists and agnostics would not be as grounded as you yet they often are not involved in anything mystical. It's almost as if a strong faith predisposes one to believe in ghosts and supernatural phenomena.
    Could it be, do you think, that satan has no need to oppress athiests and agnostics, but that he seeks to oppress those who have declared their position and opposition? It is the other side of the coin isn't it?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 7, 2011, 05:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Could it be, do you think, that satan has no need to oppress athiests and agnostics, but that he seeks to oppress those who have declared their position and opposition? It is the other side of tthe coin isn't it?
    Well that's really sad. If that's true then it would be a huge reason not to believe in God.

Mar 7, 2011, 05:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Well that's really sad. If that's true then it would be a huge reason not to believe in God.
    Assuming it is a conscious decision one can make.

So, I'm thinking there may not be an actual reason in the folklore or study of paranormal science or religion that discusses the relationship here?

The link posted earlier seems to hint that it's largely an avoided topic (HOWEVER, I haven't finished exploring the link)
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 7, 2011, 07:17 PM
    Assuming it is a conscious decision one can make.

So, I'm thinking there may not be an actual reason in the folklore or study of paranormal science or religion that discusses the relationship here?

The link posted earlier seems to hint that it's largely an avoided topic (HOWEVER, I haven't finished exploring the link)
    That article is more of the religions point of view as it relates to this subject. Its really a this or that option according to that source. Where science comes in it has expanded the horizon and has sought to prove it out through experimentation. Some that has been proven is that everyone seems to carry the "god" gene. Another is how sightings of the paranormal seem to have also associations with magnetic fields and with electricity. Also there are broader definitions. Like a risidual haunting (its like a movie playing over and over) vs a spiritual haunting (one that seems to have independent thought). The first (residual) you can not interact with only observe. The second (spiritual) seems to be interactive (move objects or evp's).

It's a wide ranging subject. Also under the same umbrella as paranormal are the extended abilities of mankind (womankind too). Those of psychic ability. So when the subject comes up its not as narrow as some people think.
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2011, 09:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    How twisted can you get. The reason to believe in God is he is the only answer to satan
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2011, 02:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    You are stating this 'tongue in cheek' ? Right ?
    Nope, entirely serious.
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2011, 02:51 AM
    How twisted can you get. The reason to believe in God is he is the only answer to satan
    So if one neither believes in god and satan then that removes a lot of conflict in life doesn't it.
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2011, 02:41 PM
    So if one neither believes in god and satan then that removes a lot of conflict in life doesn't it.
    Blissful ignorance
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2011, 01:00 PM
    Blissful ignorance
    Ok, works for me and millions of others, no-hauntings clause included at no extra cost! And what are we missing exactly from living like this?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 14, 2011, 01:22 PM
    And what are we missing exactly from living like this?
    1) the creepiness of hearing strange bumps in the night
    2) the cold fingers of spirits marking a trail down your spine
    3) the coppery taste of blood when you haven't bitten down on your tongue or lips (yet)
    4) your Ouija planchette spinning out of control with a mind of its own and spelling out "Beware, the day has come!"
    5) the odd smell of moldy sweatpants wafting over your face whilst you lie in bed at midnight
    6) out of the corner of your eye, the glimpse of a black shadow in the shape of excon -- and you hear his cat meow!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Salam Aaliakum: my question is: is the religion alow me to change my hear color? [ 3 Answers ]

Asalam Alaikum: IM a muslim lady Alhamdulillah, so what I want to ask my brothers is: my hear color is black so if I change it into brown color, does the religion alow us to do that??

Deep Question on Religion [ 6 Answers ]

I am not sure if I should be sending this question to the "religion" part of the "ask me help desk website" or to the "philosophy: section. Well, here goes. I was raised Catholic. Therefore I was taught the Jesus walked the earth 2000 years ago. My first question is, when will we stop saying...

View more questions Search