Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mariy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2011, 11:32 AM
    The treaty between the US and Israel taXES?
    My husband is from Israel and started a postdoc at MGH hospital on J-1 visa in Harvard, Boston. As I have heard in first 24 months the J-1 holders are free of all taxes. However, it was told to my husband that because of the treaty between the US and Israel, he have to pay the Federal and State taxes starting from now and not after 2 years. I think that there is a mistake, since no other postdocs in MGH pay taxes first 24 months. Can you help me?

MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 3, 2011, 01:36 AM

This is from IRS publication 901.
    An individual who is a resident of Israel on the date of arrival in the United States and who is temporarily in the United States primarily to teach or engage in research, or both, at a university or other recognized educational institution is exempt from U.S. income tax on income from the teaching or research for a maximum of 2 years from the date of arrival in the United States. The individual must have been invited to the United States for a period not expected to be longer than 2 years by the U.S. Government or a state or local government, or by a university or other recognized educational institution in the United States.
    This exemption does not apply to income from research carried on mainly for the private benefit of any person rather than in the public interest. The exemption does not apply if, during the immediately preceding period, the benefits described in Article 24(1) of the treaty, pertaining to students, were claimed.
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Mar 14, 2011, 05:31 PM
    Does he receive regular wages or a scholarship? Even if he gets paid through MGH, the salary might be classified as a fellowship/scholarship.
    He would need to fill out a form 8233.
    Depending on the source of income he might have to pay income taxes for it if the source is a private organization (like HHMI for example)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US Israel tax treaty [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I want to know about the treatment of capital gains from mutual funds, gains on qualified retirement accounts and pensions held in both the United States and Israel for a United States/Israeli dual citizen whose main resident is in Israel in light of the US Israel tax treaty and considering...

J1 / Tax treaty Israel-US [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Israeli postdoc under a J1 visa (date of arrival in the United States March 2010). The period covered by my visa is 3 years (March 2010 - March 2013). I've just received from my employer a letter asking me to fill out form 8233 if I want to benefit from tax exemption under the...

Israel-US Tax Treaty [ 1 Answers ]

I am planning to move to Israel and become an Israeli citizen. I have US earned tax deferred income which I have invested in fixed income indexed annunities. Does the US-Israel Tax Treaty allow me to pay the taxes on my tax deferred US earned income to Israel instead of to the United States/IRS? ...

J-1 US-Israel tax treaty and tax return [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Israeli scholar (postdoc) on J-1 visa. I came to the US in December 2006, but started working (and receiving salary) from Jan 1, 2007. For the first 2 years (2007-2008) I have claimed tax benefits under US-Israel tax treaty. Since I wasn't paying federal income tax for the first two...

View more questions Search