Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kerryemery Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2011, 01:16 PM
    Can I complain to the Canadian Government about a Canadian Couple with no morals?
    A canadian couple hit my car on Feb 14th in a grocery store parking lot above the left rear tire with their right rear bumper. We swapped information - they are from Ontario visiting for a month in Florida. I called them two weeks later asking for info. They now say "i'm not so sure it was our fault" (.. absurd claim if you just look at the damage)call our insurance yourself! They say... So I've been trying for over 15 phone calls - no answers and one put on holds and disconnects. My insurance company is having the same problem. Seemed like a nice couple (really... retired.. nice car etc... ) But they apparently have no morals or ethics at all! It's not that big a dent... but if I'd have done the same in their country I would have fixed the damage immediately... not said 'too bad' and walked away. I was told that the government of Canada holds it's citizens responsible for acting in such a hideous fashion. But I know not where to go to report it. Any help?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2011, 01:34 PM

I'm a liability investigator. Didn't you exchange info at the scene? Were the Police called?

A lot of people involved in accidents later decide it wasn't their fault - the Canadians don't own this argument. I'm a liability investigator in the US and I hear this all the time.

No, the Canadian Government doesn't force anyone to adhere to a code of ethics and morals. As long as they don't commit a crime the Government doesn't care - same as the US.

You report this to your insurance company and then THEY contact and make arrangements with the Canadian insurance company. I don't know what the confusion is.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 1, 2011, 02:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryemery View Post
    ... call our insurance yourself! they say.... So i've been trying for over 15 phone calls - no answers and one put on holds and disconnects. My insurance company is having the same problem. ...
    I don't see how you blame them for the fact that their insurance company isn't answering the phone, if in fact it's a legitimate insurance company. If you had called the police you could have the police check into it. But since you didn't, it might not be useful to do so at this late date.

As someone else said, let your insurance company handle it.

Mar 1, 2011, 02:33 PM
    As stated... the Canadian Insurance company is not returning phone calls - and once put on hold.. will disconnect you after a period. There's no confusion - there's just no culpability. There was damage to my personal property and one would think that the responsible party would own up! What if we all didn't care about anyone else's personal property?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 1, 2011, 04:34 PM

So turn it over to your insurance to deal with them.

This is common with many companies, and being Canadians don't mean they are anything expect for being that.

But no complaining to their government will just make someone at the government office laugh

You may sue them, or you may turn it over to your insurance.
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2011, 06:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryemery View Post
    As stated...the Canadian Insurance company is not returning phone calls - and once put on hold..will disconnect you after a period of time. There's no confusion - there's just no culpability. There was damage to my personal property and one would think that the responsible party would own up! What if we all didn't care about anyone elses personal property?

This is a legal board, not a morality forum.

I'm a liability investigator and the answer to your question is, no, almost no one EVER admits to guilt.

What we all would do or think doesn't matter. What happened here does matter.

You have insurance, I presume - although you haven't answered that question. Report it to them. You should have reported it to the Police at the time.

I have no idea why you are trying to reach THEIR insurance company. My company will not talk to anyone but me. Maybe they have the same company.

Let your company handle this - you are muddying the waters.

Mar 1, 2011, 06:35 PM
    The police state that it happened on private property... the parking lot of the grocery store and they would not get involved... this would have helped I thought. But they say - no it's not our problem either. So basically I have no recourse. Insurance is saying... you didn't do anything... it's their company that should pay. Their company is saying nothing. The police aren't willing to even file an incident report to give it validity. I have pictures and the information for the Canadians in Canada.. they wouldn't give me their US location or address. So I guess no crime has been committed. Thanks for all your fabulous help though!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 1, 2011, 07:43 PM

Ok, one more time,

No crime, merely a traffic accident.

No their company does not have to talk to you,

No the police do not in many states do police reports on private property , esp if there is no injury to persons

You, if you have insurance ( full coverage) merely turn it over to your own company, they pay for your damages and then they go after the other persons insurance.
    *** that is how is works, you don't seem to want to do that.

If you don't have full coverage, then you file a law suit against them where you live and where the accident happened. You serve them and the insurance company notice, since if you win, the insurance company will have to pay, and often they will pay once they know they are being sued.
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2011, 06:28 AM

There was some misunderstanding somewhere. I can only address Tampa but the Police policy there is that ALL accidents must be reported. An incident report MAY be filed. A log entry IS made. The Police may or may not investigate, based on the amount of damage and/or injury.

Where was this accident?

If the "Canadians" REFUSED to provide a local address the Police SHOULD have assisted with the exchange of info.

I don't understand why none of this happened.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If a canadian citizen kills another Canadian in the USA, where would he be tried? [ 4 Answers ]

A Canadian citizen is living in the United States on a Student visa. Another Canadian citizen who is in the US on vacation murders the student and is apprehended by US law enforcement. Would the murderer be extradited to Canada, or tried in the US? Would it make a difference if he had a warrant for...

Canadian divorce if the other party is not a canadian citizen or iimigrant [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am a landed immigran here in Canada. Last year I went back to the Philippines to get married. For some reason, my wife, after we got married decided that she doesn't want to go with me to canada And decided that we should instead end our legal relationship. My question, can I file a...

ITIN for dependent canadian born son and wife (canadian citizen) [ 3 Answers ]

I have filed W7 for my wife and son with my Federal tax return by going to a TAC in atlanta area. They indicated that since it is a peak season, will take 6-8 weeks to get the ITIN. How do I file my states return? Reading from the replies of tax experts here, I understood that for most states I...

Should canadian government have the power over rights? [ 1 Answers ]

Should canadian government have the power to resrict or eliminate the civil rights of its citizens? Why? Or why not?

View more questions Search