Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GlennaS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2011, 12:51 PM
    I work at a School District and I need to know if I can request a W-9 from everyone
    I work at a School District and we are currently being audited by the IRS. We are getting dinged because we didn't have a W-9 for everyone we paid. I have requested a W-9 from all vendors (which has been no problem) but a teacher or any person that we are paying for any reason do not want to give me a W-9 for fear I will send a 1099. I have explained that if it is for supplies or a reimbusement they won't get a 1099 but they still don't want to give me a W-2. I thought I understood from our IRS guy that we should have a W-9 for everyone we write a check to. Is it legal and should I be asking for one from everyone?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 17, 2011, 10:44 AM
    It is required for now, because the new healthcare laws greatly increased the 1099 reporting requirement.

There is a move in Congress to rescind that law, but until that actually happens, count on getting a signed Form W-9 from EVERYONE to whom you send a check.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Request transcripts from a closed school [ 2 Answers ]

How do I request transcripts from a closed school?

How to shift the case from one district to another district? [ 1 Answers ]

I got married in the year 2006.a female child was born in the year 2007.Now due to some misunderstanding my husband has filed case against me in his district.Now I am under the care of my parents along with my child.Now my question is I want to shift the case from his district to my district. Since...

Contempt or not? Moving out of school district [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, First a little background! I have represented myself over the last five years since my ex and I divorced. He has always had an attorney, but I was fortunate enough to get almost everything I wanted. I feel the children's relationship with their father is very important. I am their primary...

What is the earliest age you may drop out in Utah's Jordan School District? [ 2 Answers ]

I wasn't sure where to put this so since its in a way related to high school I put it here, if there is any problems please notify me. Anyway, I was just wondering when is the earliest age you may Drop out in Utah's Jordan School District? I've promised myself for my own reasons that I am...

California school district [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 16 year old son that is living with his aunt in another city. He has been doing great since he has moved out of the house but now the school district wants to verifiy his residence. My husband lived with him last year but he wants to move back home. What can I do so he can stay in the...

View more questions Search