Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hadtobeg Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2011, 05:32 AM
    Stranded without money for four days
    Hello, I was beaten up by my boyfriend and also drugged and raped. After I vacated my house my money manager called and I told her to send my check to my old house. While driving I realized I should go to Arizona instead. When I arrived in Arizona I called my money manager and explained to her that I didn't go to my old house after all. Could she please forward the funds. She refused due to red tape. She refused to even lend me a penny or fifteen dollars. Even though I pay her company a fat paycheck to manage my funds. I even faxed over a letter saying this was an emergency and I am stranded with no money/no friends.
    She refused to help me and let me starve even though I was already physically injured.
    On Monday I waited for her help. Finally on Tuesday I called her and she said oh I forgot about you.
    So I was waiting about four days without any money. Should I sue the company that I hired? Should I insist that she be fired? Or should I insist that she sleep in her car and get three dollars a day to survive like I begged for?
    How much should I sue the company for?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 1, 2011, 05:43 AM

Why couldn't you access funds by using a banking machine ? And have you reported this monster who beat you and raped you, to the police ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 1, 2011, 06:22 AM

Why did you go to arizonia ? How did you have money to go if you had not money, why could you not wait for the money,

Why was it being mailed ( no one mails checks any more)

Did you report the crime to the police.

But no merely take your money out of this company and use another one.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Mar 1, 2011, 06:27 AM

There seem to be way too many variables here to provide an accurate answer.

-By what means do you withdraw money (if applicable)?
    -How did you travel without money? (is Arizona a close drive?)
    -What was her specific reasoning for denying your transfer/re-route?

Most importantly, did you get help for what was done to you? Did you go to the Police? Did you go to the hospital? You were raped, drugged and beaten and you're more worried about money?? Please explain more.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 1, 2011, 08:55 AM

Do you know what an Internet troll is? Do you really expect us to believe this story? Anyone who pays a money manager a big fat check to manage their money is never going to be in a situation like you describe.

If you were raped and/or beaten why didn't you go to an emergency room instead of driving to another state? Why wouldn't you have a credit card, debit card, etc. Why couldn't you go to a bank for temporary funds?

Sorry there are just too many holes in your story to make it credible.

Mar 1, 2011, 09:29 AM
    Thanks for the replies. Yes I reported these crimes to the police. I went to Arizona because I was on the run from this violent guy. I had a money to get there but that's it. I argued with the manager and pleaded that she walk to the bank and manually deposit the money. She refused. Then she said she was going on lunch break. I even said you are going to lunch when I have no money to eat!
    She said it would take several days to put a stop on the already mailed check. She could have loaned me even 100 dollars; the company she works for loans money. It is a huge company, very well-known. I can't believe that this happened to me!! It is so ridiculous but I have some proof.
    Of course people still mail checks these days but don't tell that to thieves.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Mar 1, 2011, 09:33 AM

Listen to what you're saying and take alook at our stance. What you're describing seems like it's straight out of the movie Enough.

Where is your proof?
    Expert

Mar 1, 2011, 10:14 AM

I can't remember the last time I paid a bill by maillng a cheque, or had a cheque sent to me. Does anyone really transact that way any more ?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 1, 2011, 10:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ITstudent2006 View Post
    ... What you're describing seems like it's straight out of the movie Enough.
    The screenplay seems to be a work in progress.
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Mar 1, 2011, 10:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I can't remember the last time I paid a bill by maillng a cheque, or had a cheque sent to me. Does anyone really transact that way any more ?
    I think about it, forget to, then just go online/call the company and pay it that way. It's 2011, for Pete's sake!

This story seems pretty Hollywood-esque. In the chance that it's real, I hope the OP recovers from this trauma and seeks further protection from authorities. If you need to run to AZ to escape this violent man, you should be calling the cops-again-to have him incarcerated or at least give yourself protection.

Mar 1, 2011, 10:41 AM
    I did go to the er but they didn't let me stay there.the er mainly helps with people who need to be sewn, stitched that kind of thing, not an extended recovery from injuries.. I really don't know what to do about the monster. It's very scary to be a witness in a felony case. It doesn't stop a criminal from coming to get you or taking some sort of retaliation.
    I don't know what an internet troll is nor do I really care as this has nothing to do with being stranded. My managers harmed me and I would like to be compensated.

Mar 1, 2011, 10:46 AM
    I have the proof of my bank records, its on the police log for Arizona and of course the manager and her associate at the company and my relatives that I called to for help. How much money should I ask for compensation?

Thanks for your help everyone.
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Mar 1, 2011, 10:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hadtobeg View Post
    i don't know what an internet troll is nor do i really care as this has nothing to do with being stranded. My managers harmed me and I would like to be compensated.
    Okay. Well if this money manager works for a large company I would go up the ladder and speak to her supervisor, and keep going up the ladder until you get some answers. If you are paying them for a service that she is not providing you with AND it's putting you in such a destitute situation, her supervisor needs to be informed of that.

Any chance you have friends or family that could wire you the money to get to their homes and then start settling this situation? (also-I would recommend taking your business elsewhere if this money management group is acting so negligent). Good luck.

Mar 1, 2011, 10:50 AM
    Well your stance makes no difference to me because my story is true. Why do think I am still upset about it? How would you know what it is like to be a girl? Would you call nicole simpson's story is a joke? Not very funny.

Mar 1, 2011, 10:51 AM
    Comment on southamerica's post
    Thank you for your time and advice.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 1, 2011, 11:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hadtobeg View Post
    well your stance makes no difference to me because my story is true. why do think i am still upset about it? how would you know what it is like to be a girl? would you call nicole simpson's story is a joke? not very funny.
    There is a possible way to believe this story, I guess. Let me suggest the following hypothetical fact pattern:

You are an heiress, worth untold billions, and have been such all your life. Unlike the rest of us, you never had to think about such mundane things as paying for food, gasoline, and airline tickets. There was always somebody there to take care of those details for you.

Then you met this guy. He took over the role of protecting you from the stresses and strains of every-day life. But you and he had a violent argument and, in a drug induced stupor you grabbed your cell phone a wad of cash, and the keys to the Ferrari. You fled.

You called the money manager (Fortunately, someone had programmed your cell phone with the number.) and asked her to send some money to your house in Palm Springs. But then you remembered that he had the keys to that place and knew where it was. So you figured that might not be safe and, instead, drove to another house your family owned in Phoenix. Somehow, you managed to pay cash for the gas, and actually figured out how to operate the pumps. By the time you arrived in Phonenix, you were out of cash. You remembered where the key was hidden and let yourself in. The house was stocked with groceries, but since the help was not expecting you, there was no one to prepare anything. You would have gone out to eat but of course there was no cash left and you had failed to bring a credit card with you.

Despitely hungry, you ran out in the back yard, digging for yams. As you clawed in the dirt you exclaimed "As God is my witness, as God is my witness they're not going to lick me. I'm going to live through this and when it's all over, I'll never be hungry again. No, nor any of my folk. If I have to lie, steal, cheat or kill. As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again."

Oh, sorry, you can't use those lines in your screen-play. They're already taken.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 1, 2011, 11:43 AM

Yes, you can not go against a management company for not sending money to a address not on file. And esp from someone over the phone, most would require at least written request.

Where was your bank accounts, checking accounts, ATM cards, credit cards and the such. Anyone with a money manager would have other money.

This is why no one believes you, I have a personal banker, if I call him up, I could get money sent to my address on file, but never to another address.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 1, 2011, 04:49 PM

Sorry, But if you went to the ER and the police were called there is no reason to flee. The police would have provided protection. The ER would have admitted you to the hospital not just kicked you out.

Your screenplay isn't going to fly, too many holes.
    Expert

Mar 1, 2011, 04:54 PM

But I have to wonder here, to you all who replied. This is not fair and not what we are about, so much OP bashing.

I know we all think there is more to be said, it sounds implausible, but so many things you read in the paper sound the same way.

I don't know how to give the OP another chance to explain after all of the scenarios that have been put forward.

How do we know ? I would not want to be in that position, but would have access to money if I were to be in that position and would seek better counselling then here.

Tick
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2011, 05:08 PM

Hello had:

Instead of asking for compensation from your money manager, why don't you make arrangements so that it NEVER happens again. You can see the people here don't believe you didn't have even as much as a debit card to retrieve your funds... A debit card can be used to retrieve money from a CD, a stock brokerage account, an IRA, a trust, an overseas bank, and of course, your checking account. Even POOR people have debit cards.

So, you're not going to be able to sue your money manager, because even if she did what you say, (and I don't doubt you), the court will say that YOU, as a reasonable person, would not LET yourself be put into the situation you found yourself in.

So, since you can't sue her, I'd FIRE her. I'd do it by mail and I'd send copy's to every supervisor she has.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Movie about a stranded couple [ 1 Answers ]

This is about a pilot is is flying a widow and the coffin of her husband and the plane crashes and they get stranded on an island. The story is how they survive and their struggle to find a way out. The twist is when the lady finds out that the coffin is empty. The climax is when they realize the...

Films about being stranded on a island [ 3 Answers ]

Hi can anybody think of any films about people being stranded on a desert island I thought of castaway Blue lagoon Swept away Seven days an seven nights Can you help ?

I Sold a Car 6 days ago and now the new owner wants their money back [ 9 Answers ]

I sold a 1992 Nissan Maxima for $800 on May 11, 2008. On May 12, I mailed in the post card saying that I'm no longer in possession of the vehicle. My boyfriend showed him the car and explained that we were asking $1200, but we knew that the muffler needed work and the oil needed changing and we...

Stranded on a deserted Island [ 4 Answers ]

One day an Irishman, who had been stranded on a deserted island for more than 10 years, saw a speck on the horizon. He thought to himself, 'It's certainly not a ship.' As the speck got closer and closer, he began to rule out the possibilities of a small boat and even a raft. ...

View more questions Search