Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dharmeier Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2011, 05:04 AM
    Eviction
    I served 5 day notice to vacate a month ago what do I do now to get them out of my house and how long will it take
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 28, 2011, 07:18 AM

First any question on law needs to include your general location as laws vary by area.

Why would you serve a 5 day notice and not follow through? I'm assuming this was a pay or quite notice. And that 5 days is what is required in your area. So if they didn't pay or quit by the deadline, then the NEXT day you should have been in court applying for an eviction order. Hopefully, its not too late to do so now.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 28, 2011, 07:48 AM

Yes, first why did you serve them an eviction notice, was it for non payment,

If so, and you did a five day pay or quit, why after 5 days did you not file in court for an eviction.

Since that is the next step you file and go to court
    dharmeier Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2011, 09:15 AM
    First the location is in deltona fl. 2nd I should not be a landlord, the only reason I am is that after my mothert in law retired we moved into a larger house to accommodate my wife & I along with 2 children and my mother in law since the real estate market took a dump we decided to keep old house as retirement home after kids graduated. So we've been renting for 5 years so far every person that has been in this house has hurt us some more severely, I never what I was getting myself into, After I served the present tenants with notice I felt so bad for them (young mother and father with a 1 year and his mom living with them) I talked my boss into hiring the dad part time but then after a week he was let go because of a Felony record, electricity, and water is also in my name so I'm hurting from more than the rent they also owe for utilities
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2011, 10:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dharmeier View Post
    2nd i should not be a landlord,
    Hello d:

Yeah, and I'd get killed if I chose professional wrestling as my career. But, you DID choose to be a landlord. Like any business, it takes WORK and EXPERIENCE to make it pay. You're finding that out - even if a little late.

So, what do you want from us? You KNOW you're too soft to be a landlord. We're not going to change you. Sell the house.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 28, 2011, 10:34 AM

Yes being a landlord means you need to prepare. So you have a few choices here. You can hire a management company to take care of the property. You can do it yourself, which means educating yourself. Or you can sell.

If you decide to do it yourself, then you need to fiond and take courses on being a landlord. Your local landlord's association may give such classes. Or get a book or something. But you need to know things like how to screen prospective tenants. How to write a lease. What to do if the tenant violates the lease. How to evict, etc.

Being a landlord is running a business so you can't get sentimental.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 28, 2011, 11:08 AM

Yes, before the first tenant moves into the house, you should know eviction laws, payment laws and more.

Next you are not running a charity unless you can afford to let them stay free in the home.

It is worth your time to even hire an attorney by the hour to explain the laws toyou. And prepare paper work,

Also you can get many forms online from various law prep sites.

Do you run background check,s demand a large enough deposit, get first and last month rents?

You need to expect them to leave taking the fridge and stove, and even a air unit at times. You need to expect there to be holes in the walls, and the carpet ruined.

Then if that is not all done, you feel lucky.

Remember ifyou give it away, soon you may be the one losing the home, and they will not be there to help you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help with eviction? [ 15 Answers ]

Hi. Just a quick question. I've been evicted from my apartment, they gave me a 30 day notice and had to be out the 17th. They also granted me an extension due to holidays, which I'm extremely grateful for and now say I have to be out the 30th. I'm on section 8, waiting for my house to be...

VA eviction notice.can we pay and stop the eviction [ 3 Answers ]

My son and his wife are living in VA in a rental house. Rent is due the 1st with a 5 day grace period. When they realized they weren't going to be have money for rent until the 18th (wife is a teacher and that is her monthly payday) she called the rental agent and explained. She was told that as...

Eviction at 17 [ 5 Answers ]

I'm 19 years old and just had a baby and am struggling because I can't move anywhere because of the eviction on my credit. I was only 17 and signed a lease. They never asked for verification of my age. What should I do to get this eviction off my credit

Kentucky eviction law motion for eviction [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I really need help I bought a house for 30,000 from a lady we have just a one simple page contract basically states I paid 15000.00 dollars down In April 05' and then make payments of 400.00 a month for 36 months Contract has no sell as is in it because at time of sale we the lady homeowner...

Eviction [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 18 yr old, nearly 19. He does not want to help out around the house. Bad influence on 15 yr old. Pays 300 dollars a month rent. I want him to move out and be on his own. How can I make him leave?

View more questions Search