Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    highlyfavoredjb Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2011, 12:37 AM
    I had a composite fence installed and it moves on every side, is this right?
    Manufacturer said its acceptable movement, but won't tell me the tech specs for allowable movement or flex. What to do? Go after the installer and manufacturer? Thank you in advance.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 1, 2011, 04:02 PM

Is the post moving or just the rail, or both?

Mar 1, 2011, 10:36 PM

Hi ballengerb1,

The posts and rails. The ground at the posts do not move. But if you push any post (except corner posts) with only 2 fingers with little pressure the entire side move. And it happens on each side.

Thanks
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2011, 01:01 AM

Do u have company specs for installation?

Was the fence installed according to these specs?

Can u verify that it was installed according to specs?

Ask for company to send a field rep to inspect fence and get a written report of inspection.

If company will not do this, write letter to pres of company and explain your problem. Be sure to document all conversation on phone with time, date and person u spoke to. In letter state all but name of persons u spoke to but state u have these names.

Send letter certified with a return receipt. If company is reputable, u will get action.

Chuck

Mar 2, 2011, 08:59 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion, however I did all that and the company made and offer to replace only rails and covers not posts. The letter they sent stating bad install could not be given to installer because of included offer. But I still have a contract with installer and requested a refund from him. Now I rejected the company offer I haven't heard from either the installer or the company. This was a bad job... the rail brackets were not centered on the posts and caused the pickets to bow and rail covers have waves in them warm or cold weather. The biggest problem is the posts move... causing each side to move with little pressure. The company says 2" of movement in the posts is acceptable, not to me when each side moves. It's a 30' x 30' x 35' fence. What to do??
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2011, 04:35 AM

Just a note. If u had the same installer do your tile(your other post), get rid of him before he wrecks your house completely.

Don't know what legal recourse you have.

If company says that 2'' is acceptable and u believe movement is more, use a plumb bob to check amount post moves. If more then 2'' take picture and inform company that it does not meet they standards.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does mean if your neecap moves side to side. [ 2 Answers ]

I have noticed my neecaps move side to side when I touch them when my need is straight sometimes I get a slight pain in my need or a crack but that is about it. Ever since I was born my nees have rolled in and we have been to pyshios and done excerises and I have had orthotics until I grew out of...

Why is control valve installed in return side rather than supply side? [ 1 Answers ]

Why we prefer installing the control valve in the return side rather than installing it in the supply side in A/C units

Installed new defrost timer on whirlpool side by side [ 1 Answers ]

Plugged unit in and fan did not run. Turned the adjustment clockwise until fan turned on. Should fan be running when I want to defrost the unit?

Contracting to have a fence installed in E TN [ 6 Answers ]

I am contracting to have a fence installed in our yard & have some questions. (I have spoken to two different companies and am getting conflicting info. I want to know if a Cedar fence will rot quickly if it is touching the ground. I would also like to know how long a Cedar fence last compared...

Staining our side of the fence [ 5 Answers ]

Is there an easy and careful way to stain a fence without getting the stain on the neighbors side of the fence?

View more questions Search