Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrbabu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2007, 12:07 PM
    Which State Tax to Pay ?
    Dear Tax Consultants,

I work on a L1A Visa for an Indian Company which has its Head Quarters in USA.
    My Company is located in Illinois and Every Month my Pay check is given by
    This Office. And I am in their payroll system.

But, Due to need of my Job Responsibility, I stay in Ohio and Work out of There.
    I have a Rental Lease and Drivers License in Ohio.

Now, Which state tax do I have to pay ? Ohio or Illinois ? I tried reading the tax rules
    And other publications, but I am not clear.

Although I stay in Ohio, I do not make money here!. So, It looks like I do not need to pay here. But, Since I have a Rental Lease, I am Ohio resident, which makes me think I should
    Pay the Oh Tax..

My company has deducted my state tax for IL, and they seem to say this is
    Correct.

Can you please help here...

Thanks
    MRB
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 19, 2007, 12:28 PM
    MRB:

Your company is worng. If you work and live in Ohio, then you pay Ohio state income taxes.

The fact that your company is based in Illinois is irrelevant, because, if you are not physically living or wiorking in Illinois, then you are NOT liable for Illinois state income tax.

Contact your company and instruct them to begin withholding Ohio state taxes from your salary for 2007 and to refund any 2007 Illinois state taxes withheld.

You will have to file an Illinois state tax return to get the taxes withheld in 2006 back in full. You will also need to file a 2006 Ohio state income tax.

Attach a copy of the Ohio state tax return to the Illinois tax return to show the Illinois tax authorities that you are NOT an Illinois resident and that you are paying taxes to Ohio on your salary.

A cover letter to the Ohio state tax authorities explaining the problem should exempt you from any penalties and interest they may apply for under-withholding your Ohio state income taxes.

If you need help filing, contact me at [email protected].
    amparker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2010, 08:52 AM
    My husband and I live in Franklin, Tennessee. He works in Bowling Green, Kentucky, (commutes daily). Does he pay Kentucky State taxes and or does he pay the city of Bowling Green taxes?
    Thank you,
    Ann P.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 9, 2010, 03:36 PM
    Ann:

For sure, he pays taxes to Kentucky.

Not sure about Bowling Green taxes; best you call the city and ASK!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax deductions from pay check [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My name is Aniruddha kulkarni. I am a F1 student working as a full time Associate on my CPT. I know for tax purposes I am considered as a non-resident alien. My emlpoyer makes the following deductions from my bi-weekly pay check: 1. Fed Tax 2. CA state income tax

Do I need to pay the FICA Tax? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi,Expert: I am a J-1 holder from China and doing Postdoctoral researcher associate in a University in USA now. I arrived USA in Oct. 2004. I found in my first month payroll of 2006,there is FICA tax has been withheld. Normally there are two years for all J-1 visa holders have Taxes exemption....

Paycheck without Tax Withholding, how can I pay the tax? (Chinese F1 student on CPT) [ 8 Answers ]

I am currently doing an intern holding F-1 visa and on CPT in New York state. My employer didn’t withhold any tax from my paycheck. She said I am treated as an independent contractor. My income in the CPT period will be $4800, according to 1040-ES (NR), the tax will be $4800*10%=480, which is...

What state would I pay income tax in? [ 1 Answers ]

If I worked in one state but lived in another, which one would I pay income tax in? Sates would prob be Vermont and New Hampshire, or MA and NH.

Do I really need to pay my tax from May 1st, 2006. [ 2 Answers ]

I came to USA with a H1B visa in May, 2005. Someone told me that person with H1B visa doesn’t pay the state and federal taxes at the first three years. But the director of Human Resources in my center told me that I will have to start paying federal and state taxes on May 1st. Can you help me and...

View more questions Search