Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Torissa Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2007, 11:43 AM
    Bassett Hound Puppy... How much do I feed her
    I have a 4 month old Basset Hound puppy who weighs 20 lbs. I was wondering how much I should be feeding her. I currently feed her 2x a day because I work during the day. Also housebreaking is not going well because she is alone for a long period. My other 5 month old puppy can hold it all day. Please help.

Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2007, 12:12 PM
    The only good way to determine how much to feed any dog is to check its body condition, and then adjust its food and exercise as needed. There is a great illustrated guide at http://www.puppychow.com/products/po...condition.aspx You are right to be concerned. Most puppies come from the breeder overweight and continue so. The excess weight strains developing joints leading to earlier problems.

You can check the sticky on housebreaking at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251809 It won't be much help if you have to leave the puppy all day. If so, you really need to find a neighbor or professional dog walker to give it a mid day break.

There is some other useful information in the sticky too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Feed Me! [ 7 Answers ]

I am going on vacation and wanted to know exactly how long leopard geckos can go without food (of course I'm not going to leave him alone for 2 weeks, I just want to know.)

Basset Hound Puppy [ 3 Answers ]

Hello - I have a 4 month old Basset Hound puppy who barks like crazy when you leave the room and don't pay attention to her. She has 3 other dogs in the house, and when you leave her for a second she barks whether she is in her crate or in a room alone. The bark is louder than all other 3 dogs...

How much to feed a new pup [ 4 Answers ]

We have a 8wk old lab who is adjusting well but we are concerned on how much to feed him. From what I have read Labs are synonymes w/ overeating but we want to make sure he has enough. What is the best way to judge he's eating enough but not too much?

Bassett Puppy with blister [ 4 Answers ]

My 10 month old Bassett Hound has developed one pencil-eraser-end-sized blister filled with a yellowish fluid. It seems a little sensitive. Her appetite seems good and the other abnormalities are that she seems to urinate more excessively and seems a little warmer in temperature than normal. ...

No video feed to TV [ 1 Answers ]

I have a denon surround receiver that is hooked up to a plasma screen,cable/dvr and dvd player. System was working properly. I turned off TV with harmony universal remote. Later turned on TV again and now the screen says component 1 no signal. No matter what I do I cannot get the video to turn...

View more questions Search