Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashtori Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2011, 03:26 PM
    Can I change the locks on someone who lived with me but was never on the lease
    OK here's the deal I let my best guy friend crash on the sofa for 2 weeks. He soon was taking advantage of me so I asked him to be out in thirty days because he didn't have a job. Now he isn't on the lease and he has been very disrespectfull to the occupants that are on the lease. I also asked him if he left sooner than the date to inform me that he was leaving. He did leave early so I changed the locks and called him to let him know that if the rest of his things was not out by midnight that I would set them by (not in) the dumpster. He moved out when no one was home and I know a couple things are missing, is it wrong for me to keep his things until I get mine back? I live in Indiana by the way
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 27, 2011, 07:50 PM

Since he already moved out, you can change the locks, you can not change the locks if he had not moved out, just to keep him out,

If he had not moved out, you would have to evict though court and can be sued for locking him out.

Since as you stated, he moved already, you can change the locks.

No you can't "keep" his stuff, that is stealing and wrong.
    You can sue him for what he took, but you need to give him his stuff back.
    patapata Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2012, 08:27 AM
    Well, I fired a caretaker and he just moved into my attic. Cops won't go in after him. What to do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant Lease expires the end of the year can I change the locks on that day? [ 3 Answers ]

My tenants signed a paper that says the day they will move out and they acknowledge locks will be changed that day. If for some crazy reason they do not move that day can I still legally change the locks since they signed the paper?

Have someoneliving in my private home with no lease. Change locks ask leave. Rights? [ 6 Answers ]

Have someone living in my private home. Has not paid in 3 weeks. Changed locks asked her to leave. She went to police. She has no lease. What are her rights? I want her out

He won't take my name off the lease, but changed the locks [ 2 Answers ]

I was in the middle of a bad break up in February and it was agreed that I would move out of the apartment that we rented together in Florida. He verbally agrred that we would sign the roommate release form. I moved out the last week of February and we met at the rental office the following day,...

Did I have right to change locks [ 5 Answers ]

I own my home in NH and I allowed a female to stay in a spare room that I have. I charged her 375 a month. There is NO written agreement.. I told her that SHE alone could rent the room. NO ONE ELSE. I did allow her grandson to stay over from time to time however. So a few weeks go by and I...

View more questions Search