Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dsilvanu Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2011, 07:52 PM
    Non-fiction Barbara Cartland Book - Collectible?
    Are Barbara Cartland's non-fiction books collectible? A book by her with the title, 'Etiquette Handbook' and published by Paul Hamlyn, London but printed in Czechoslovakia in 1962. It 's a hardcover book with a dust-jacket. However, the dust-jacket is not in very condition but the pages are clean and intact. I am not sure if this is the very first edition. If so, at what price can I sell it for?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 26, 2011, 08:51 PM

Look at the title page, then turn it over to show the verso (back). Does it say anything there about "First Printing"? Are there illustrations throughout?

There is only one library in the world that owns this particular title with the Czech printing, but 21 libraries own the 1962 copyright and eight a 1963 copyright. I'm guessing it's not worth much, but take it to your library's reference desk and allow them to help you figure out its worth.
    dsilvanu Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2011, 01:01 AM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, my book has 60 illustrations by Francis Marshall. But I don't know what you mean by 'verso'? I cannot see any 'First Printing" anywhere. However, it has the copyright symbol followed by ' 1962 Barbara Cartland ' and published by Paul Hamlyn Ltd, Westbook House - Fulham Broadway - London. After the words 'Printed in Czechoslovakia' , it has this - T 951. Could you furnish me with any further information with what I have provided? Thanks.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 27, 2011, 07:44 AM

The verso is the backside or reverse side or other side of the title page. Often there's important publisher and printing information on it.

I don't know what the T-951 means. Again I suggest you take the book to your library's reference desk (a large library would be best) and ask about the book and the T-951. It's probably a publisher's number of some kind.

I had found the title for your particular book on WorldCat and was going to post the entry for it here, but the site is down right now. Will do so as soon as I can. T-951 was not mentioned, if I recall.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Using real names in a non fiction book [ 4 Answers ]

I have written a non fiction memoir in which I use real names and real events. Everything I have stated in the book is true. I have signed a contract with a publishing company and my book is currently being edited and printed. At the request of a friend who read my book and wondered if I could be...

Need title of old children's fiction book [ 3 Answers ]

About a bear who never remembered to hang up his clothes. He woke up one morning clothes were gone and out in the tree. I believe the wind helped him get them back?? Thanks!

Fiction Snake Book Title [ 1 Answers ]

I read a book in 1986 about a poisonous snake that is stolen and escapes and begin terrorizing a community. I think the snake was either a gabbon Viper, Puff Adder, or Black Mamba. Does anyone know the title?

The Barbara Dixon Song Book [ 3 Answers ]

Further to my earlier qestion regarding sheet music of the Barbara Dixon hit "The Caravan Song" which I`ve been unable to trace I believe that it may have been one of the tunes in The Barbara Dixon Song Book which was published in 1985 but I`ve had no luck in tracking a copy of this down...

View more questions Search