Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lacanadio Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2011, 05:46 PM
    Long time to get hot water w/recirc system
    Hi - we have a recirculating hot water system with a dedicated return to the water heater. The spigots in the master (2 sinks, tub and shower) are taking a LONG time to get hot. The guest bathroom (next furthest) sink gets hot right away, as do other faucets in the house. I'm at a loss to explain this... could someone help with some advice/clues?

Thanks,
    Bob
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 26, 2011, 08:05 PM

Was it always like that ?

Feb 26, 2011, 08:09 PM
    No. This is a recent development. The pump's running...
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 26, 2011, 08:12 PM

Was there any (any) plumbing work done on your house recently ?

Feb 26, 2011, 08:21 PM
    Predated this by over a month, early January: in kitchen (about midway between water heater and MBA), stubbed a .5" line in wall that fed the fridge icemaker, replaced with .25" line inside of wall. Early February, replaced backflow preventer to the boiler. Neither of these involved hot water lines...
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 26, 2011, 08:45 PM
    No cartridges replaced in showers / tubs ?

Check that back flow preventer for proper installation as well as that it functions as it should.

Also, did you have to turn off the pump while any of this work was being done ?

Back to you... Milo

Feb 26, 2011, 08:54 PM
    Yes, the pump had power removed for a while, now that I think about it. No cartridges and the BF preventer is installed correctly (about 99% sure of that) and seems to be working.
    argaiu1017 Posts: 92, Reputation: 8

Feb 26, 2011, 10:39 PM
    Is the water heater located between m.b. and k.s. and furthest hall bath. If so best way to run a return line is with a loop. Starting at water heater then looping around the fixtures and back to water heater. Running a straight shot to furthest outlet would delay hot water if branches are 10' away. DID ANY OF BATH ADDED TO HOUSE RECENTLY?
    pghplumber Posts: 106, Reputation: 11

Feb 27, 2011, 03:42 AM
    When you say " it takes a long time to get hot" does the water eventually get to the same temperature as before or does it feel hotter/cooler when it reaches max. temperature?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 27, 2011, 07:26 AM

Hi Bob...

Even though you worked only on cold water lines it is very possible that the recirculating hot water line was affected when the cold water was shut down but the circulator wasn't. Here, cold water was shut down while the pump was pulling on the hot water recirc. Line, but no water was being pulled into the recirc. Line because no cold water getting fed into the hot water heater so you end up with AIR in the recirculating hot water line.

My guess here is that recirculating line and pump are AIRLOCKED and the recirc. line needs to be bled of air. Here, hot water would be getting to the closer bath because you use the closer fixtures and other fixtures often enough that hot water is readily available in the regular hot water pipe. With the farthest fixtures at the master bath the recir. Line is needed to make things as they have always been... perhaps.

Are there any union fittings at this recirc. Pump? How about a shutoff on each side of the recirculating pump? If so, you may be able to purge the air by breaking the union(s) or by isolating the shutoffs and bleeding through the caps on the shutoffs (if present). Otherwise, I think you need to get a union or shutoffs (with draincaps) installed at the pump so you can bleed the recirc. Line now and in the future if needed.

That's my thoughts. Questions? Let me know, OK?

Mark
    argaiu1017 Posts: 92, Reputation: 8

Feb 27, 2011, 01:06 PM
    Comment on pghplumber's post
    What I meant is instead of being 5 seconds, it is 30-60 seconds instead. It is an example only. Temperature stays the same.

Feb 27, 2011, 07:14 PM
    Bingo, Mark! Closed the valves and opened the union. Hot water now coming up to temp as expected. Thanks to all who helped.

Bob
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 27, 2011, 08:13 PM

I had a feeling here Bob... ;) Glad to help!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Two hot water tanks on same system 1 sounds like its running water all the time [ 1 Answers ]

On a two hot water tank system,it sounds like hot water is running through one of the hot water pipes all the time

Water takes a long time to get hot [ 4 Answers ]

It takes five minutes for the water it heat up in my bathroom even thought it is not far from the water heater. What can I do?

Physical mounting of hot water recirc pump [ 6 Answers ]

I purchased a grundfos recirculation pump for my hot water system and I'm planning the installation. The thing is pretty heavy and there are no attach points to mount the pump itself. I'm installing it on a wall with 16" center studs. With only 1/2" copper spanning the 16" with the pump...

Water Hammering in hot H2O recirc system [ 10 Answers ]

I built this house on a slab 5 yrs ago. Well water to a storage tank to a booster pump to a pressure tank to the house. (2 story) Plumbing was initially laid in slab for Hot H2O recirc. On finish out with hot H2O tank upstairs plumbers installed recirc line to TACO pump T'd into cold side of...

Hot water takes long time [ 4 Answers ]

Hello every one, It takes long time for the hot water to come on while we take shower especially on the second floor shower, once it is running then it is OK, but in the beginning wasting a lot of water, any suggestions please.

View more questions Search