Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sivk2000 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2011, 05:45 PM
    Tax for J2 withEAD
    What is the form needed for filing return of J2 with EAD employed in research mainly? Came to US for the first time in 2010 and present in US for 300 days in 2010.
    Is it possible to use 1040ez? Can they claim India tax treaty benefit and file 1040nr form?
    Thank you
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 14, 2011, 01:25 PM
    If you are J-2, you are NOT eligible for any treaty exemptions. You MUST be J-1.

You WILL file as a non-resident alien, filing Forms 1040NR and 843, plus the state return.

If you need professional help filing your return, email me at [email protected] or [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

General Tax Query related to Federal and State Tax and Filing Status. [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Married Indian resident. I had visited US in 2006 twice on H1B. I have never been to US earlier. Period of Visit: March 2006-April2006 approx 44 Days - Income from NY. Stayed in NJ August 2006 – Sept 2006 approx 32 Days. - Income from NJ. Stayed in NJ My company paid the salary...

Are pre-tax IRA distributions earned income for the child tax credit? [ 2 Answers ]

Hopefully a CPA has a quick answer on this... When you take an early distribution from a pre-tax IRA, is it considered earned income for purposes of figuring tax credits like the child tax credit? I see nothing on the IRS site that makes it clear one way or another. However, considering the...

How to get social securtiy tax and medicare tax back (J-1, sign tax treaty)? [ 1 Answers ]

I hold J-1 visa and am a researcher from China, and sign the tax treaty form. I can file tax forms to get federal and state fax back. But there are social securtiy tax withheld and medicare tax withheld over 1000 USD in total. Do I need to pay that or can I get them back and how? Thank you so...

Tax for F-1 visa on OPT with tax treaty, resident alien for tax purpose [ 2 Answers ]

HI--I have multiple "identities" with regard to tax: 1. I'm an F-1 visa holder 2. I'm on OPT from Sept.2007-Aug.2008 3. I have benefits of tax treaty, under which I can be exempted from federal taxes up to $5000 a year for wages, and unlimited amount for fellowship 4. I'm a resident alien for...

Form 1116, foreign tax credit: Tax paid vs tax accrued, exchange rates and dates [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm applying for foreign tax credit on taxes I've paid / accrued on interest earned in savings accounts and certificate deposits in New Zealand. For cds, the bank statements don't give precise dates for when taxes were withheld. And so I have several questions relating to form 1116, Part II: ...

View more questions Search