Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tinker1531 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2011, 11:17 AM
    International Divorce laws and 401k
    I am a Canadian citizen, my ex-husband who works in the US and will remain there, as part of the divorce settlement, will be assigning a portion of his 401K to me. Will the funds be subject to withholding tax when they leave the country. Are there any further tax consequences beyond that. Can I leave the funds in the US and not be subject to tax until I retire?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 26, 2011, 12:42 PM

The taxes come in if there is a withdrawl. I doubt you can just leave it where it is. But you could transfer it to a qualifying account to avoid current taxation. You will need to follow the IRS rules for doing so as they seem to change often.

The bottom line is if you take it as a settlement and withdraw your portion then current taxes will be owed. If you "rollover" the funds into a qualifying account then there shouldn't be a tax penalty until you actually withdraw funds (at retirement or under qualifying conditions).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

International marriage and divorce laws in regard to american laws [ 3 Answers ]

Dateline: U.S. resident from panama in national guard gets stationed in panama and gets married U.S. resident comes back from panama (without wife cause she does not want to leave her country) U.S. resident becomes a naturalized citizen of U. S. Naturalized U. S. citizen gets american...

International divorce [ 1 Answers ]

Hello: Married a Thai lady 2 1/2 years ago, she has not been to the US, I am contemplating divorce for the reason I have been scammed for money. I lived in NY when married, but now reside in CA. Is an annullment possible, or what may be my options? Thank-you

International divorce [ 1 Answers ]

This gets complicated. I am a US citizen who married a german, in germany in 2001. After living in germany for 2 years we moved to NY (where I'm from). After 3 years she said she hated to US and had to move home, I hated germany so I stayed. Last year she filed for divorce I signed lots of paper...

401k cash out by an international [ 2 Answers ]

I have a foreign person, under 55, who has contributed to his 401k, is now vested with more than $5,000 in the account. He is returning to his country and wants to cash out. Does he have to pay penalties, etc?

View more questions Search