Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drumguy58 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2011, 06:27 AM
    Dog has suddenly quit eating and drinking, He's panting but has normal temperature
    Thirteen year old pappilion went from his normal extremely active happy self to a panting, non drinking or eating dog. He shows unusual habits as well (not laying in his favorite spots, not following me around like my shadow). I've tried placing water in his mouth but he just spits it out. This started about twelve hours ago and I'll be taking him to the vet if he doesn't come around by morning.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 26, 2011, 06:33 AM
    At 13, he might be ill enough to be preparing to die, I'm so sorry, and hope it's not so.
    It's happened to me and countless others.
    He may have tumors, especially if he can't even swallow water.
    One quick and easy health indicator is pink gums, and they are white if sick.
    My last old dog was given Prednisone for a few final days, and it helped him eat (hamburger, whatever he wanted the vet said), and even let him wander around outside checking his favorite spots. But he had to pee every 30 minutes, day and night, so I took him back to be put to sleep when I had to get some sleep.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 26, 2011, 10:28 AM

13 is a good age for a small breed. As soon as they stop drinking, it's time for a vet intervention. In the mean time you can try adding a little chicken broth to his water, or offer him an ice cube, lots of dogs get a kick out of ice cubes. There isn't much we can guess on with out knowing your pups previous health issues, and as obvious as this sounds, we can really only suggest that you see a vet.

Will your dog eat wet dog food? If he will eat wet food, he will be getting a small amount of fluid into him, which will help avoid dehydration. Please keep us posted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog avoids eating or drinking [ 1 Answers ]

Three weeks ago our dog suddenly started losing his balance and falling down. We rushed to Vet Clinic. They found an ear infection and gave him antibiotics. He appeared to recover, but vertigo persists and he refuses to drink water. We have to hand feed him moist dog food with extra water. ...

My dog has quit eating & drinking [ 1 Answers ]

Our dog has quit eating and drinking. I am wondering if anyone knows why they do this? She is an older dog part chiuahia & part terrier. I am really worried please help me try and figure this out.

My dog is suddenly eating less. [ 2 Answers ]

My dog is almost 2 years old and has we've always fed him once a day around the same time. We give him Purina Dog Chow and measure to the specifications on the bag per his age/size. In the past month or so, he has been suddenly eating less. He doesn't finish his food very often, but he'll eat at...

My Dog Just Quit Eating and Drinking [ 4 Answers ]

I have an 11 month old pit bull male that I got a few weeks ago from a friend who couldn't keep him. He has been drinking and eating just fine until Sunday(7/24) when I was informed that he has not been eating or drinking the past few days. He isn't living with me at the moment but is over at a...

My Old Dog Quit Eating And Drinking [ 7 Answers ]

Ok I'm starting to panic here! My 7 year old rattier dog quit eating and drinking and I think it's because he's jealous of the new 2 month old beagle puppy, but I don't know how to get him to start eating and drinking again! Now he won't eat and drink at all I've tried and tried to get him to...

View more questions Search