Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lorascantling Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2011, 09:01 PM
    Are my goldfish gasping for air because of too much water conditioner? Or not enough?
    I changed my tank water today and added new gravel and a new décor and now one fish is at the bottom and keeps jumping to the top and then sinks back to the bottom and the other two are at the top sucking air. Do I need to add more water conditioner or is there such a thing as giving them too much? I have changed the filter, added peas, and am not sure what else to do. I am afraid that I might have done something wrong. There are goldfish in a 10 gallon tank.

Thank you.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 27, 2011, 11:19 AM

Water conditioner is to treat the water, it doesn't add oxygen to the water. Sounds like your fish is stressed out, did you do a complete water change? Live plants is a great way to add more oxygen to your tank.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2011, 08:12 PM

How many goldfish are in your 10 gal tank? Gold fish get LARGE, there is no such thing as a small goldfish.. Some get as big as a small dinner plate! If you have too many fish in your tank, the oxygen is getting used up quicker then the filter can pump. THey are also poisoning themselves. Goldfish are very dirty fish and need major filtration and routine water changes.

Did you set up your tank then add fish right away? If so, then your shocking your tank and fish. Tanks need at least 3 weeks to cycle to be somewhat OK for the fish to live in. New tanks, or tanks that have been re-done (100% water change) go through a cycle where the nitrites and nitrates will spike to deadly levels. That could very well be what is happening to your tank. Goldfish are hardy fish, but if you added too many at into a small tank, this could very well be your issue.

Water conditioner is not something you can O.D. your fish on. It removes chlorine. That's pretty much all it does. I'm sure if you dumped a full bottle of it into your tank something bad would happen, but more then what the directions on the bottle ask for? I doubt anything would happen.

It does sound as if there isn't enough oxygen in the water itself. That all goes back to.. How many fish are in the tank? If your tank is over populated, then you're going to have to buy an air pump *bubble* to add extra air into your water.

Or.. your fish could be sick. They Goldfish will typically stay at the surface of the water if there isn't enough oxygen.. they don't normally dive to the bottom then back up.

Could be stress, too. Especially if you just remodeled your tank.

Hope they pulls through!
    GZDZ Posts: 139, Reputation: 18

Feb 28, 2011, 04:19 PM
    Test the water ph, ammonia and nitrites. Ph should be 7.0, ammonia and nitrites should be zero!! Probably too low on the ph, may have some ammonia issues.
    Violetta30 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2011, 01:32 PM

My water levels seem OK.. pH is about 7.2.. ammonia and nitrites are zero... my fish are dying.. sinking to bottom. I've changed water (20%).. feeding them tropical fish food... I'm so frustrated!
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 6, 2011, 05:19 PM

If it's ammonia poisoning I would do a 20% water change each day for about a week, and stop feeding for a few days. Do they have any white spots or are their gills fading away?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water leak from air conditioner air handler [ 6 Answers ]

How do I stop water from dripping from my air handler? The technician has checked the pans, drains, and freon with no luck. He is stumped as to where the water is coming from.

Air Conditioner won't get cold, yet water leaks from air conditioner [ 4 Answers ]

Air conditioner is turned on, but it will not cool. Water leaks

Need to Replace GE Fan Motor for outside York air conditioner air conditioner [ 2 Answers ]

The motor model number is 5KCP39EG IT IS A HP 1/4, VOLT 208/230, rpm 1075, hz 60-50 pHASE 1. Are they making this motor anywhere? If so where? Thanks

Gasping for air [ 3 Answers ]

I'm concerned my 2 year old was fine all day today a happy baby... he just woke up gasping for air and hoarse what does that mean... he's sleeping again but I'm concerned

Water Dripping on the Air Conditioner - Air Filter [Trane Unit] [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have a Trane AC unit and off late I have observed am issue Condensate Water has begun Drip on Filter. The technician told that the freon level is on and there is no bildup or clog in the condensate water collection tray or the pipe draining out the water. However he has not been...

View more questions Search