Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2011, 01:08 PM
    Pit Bull Game?
    I've been watching some random videos on YouTube (what else is there to do when you have no school?) and in almost every pit bull video they have like a tire or something hanging from a tree and they send the pit bull in to get it... Just wondering if this is like a sport or? Here is one video it is shown in a lot. YouTube - The Best Pit Bull Video Ever! just for a better understanding...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2011, 01:50 PM

I believe those videos are posted to show the dog's aggressiveness or the strength of its bite.

I KNOW they use the tires for training for fighting - because I've seen the Police videos.
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2011, 02:01 PM

Yeah, but the videos are showing how the dogs arnt aggressive...
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2011, 04:28 PM

They seem to have a lot of fun with it. I've seen dogs hang up there forever.
    I have seen competitions where they will put the tire up super high, and keep raising it to see who can get up the highest.
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2011, 04:38 PM

Yeah, I just wondering if maybe it was like a... fly ball or agility..
    Anyway it looks kind of fun, maybe I should get my boys out doing it :P
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 26, 2011, 10:38 AM

It was supposed to prove their bite strength. You know how people say that pit bulls jaw locks and it's like 200 lbs of pressure per square inch? In reality, the jaws of the Pit Bull are functionally the same as the jaws of any other breed, and this has been proven via expert examination.

The few studies which have been conducted of the structure of the
    Skulls, mandibles and teeth of Pit Bulls show that, in proportion to their
    Size, their jaw structure and thus its inferred functional morphology, is
    No different than that of any [other] breed of dog. There is absolutely
    Not evidence for the existence of any kind of 'locking mechanism' unique
    To the structure of the jaw and/or teeth of the American Pit Bull Terrier,
    Says Dr. I. Lerh Brisbin of the University of Georgia (from the ADBA
    Booklet, “Discover the American Pit Bull Terrier.)
    Tests that have been done comparing the bite pressure of several breeds showed pressure PSI (per square inch) to be considerably lower than some wild estimates that have been made. Testing has shown that the domestic dog averages about 320 lbs of pressure per square inch. Recently Dr. Brady Barr of National Geographic conducted a comparative test between a Pit Bull, a Rottweiler, and a German Shepherd. The Pit Bull had the LOWEST PSI OF THE THREE.

I think they do love doing that sort of thing, just like any dog likes to play a little rougher when they can. My dogs LOVE playing tug of war with each other. It is a dominance thing, but they seem to be okay with it.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2011, 12:17 PM

Those videos are just showing how strong the dog is.

They can be for fighting dogs, but also for fun.

If your dog isn't a pit, Emily, I would not suggest to teach them to do the death bite on anything. Ive never really seen any other breed to that besides the bully breeds.
    Dogs Expert

Feb 27, 2011, 08:15 AM

Lucky, did you read my post? A pitties jaw is made EXACTLY the same as any other dogs jaw...
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2011, 01:32 PM

Yes they are made the same way as any other dog.. but this specific breed was bred to have a stronger jaw (muscle wise). My pit bull bites a hell of a lot harder then my pointer.. My pointer would never have the strength to bite something and hang from a tree, whereas my pit does.

Its also a training thing. You train those dogs to bite and hold. What makes them so deadly is because they bite and don't get go.. Which is NOT a jaw lock.. They just don't want to let go.
    Dogs Expert

Feb 27, 2011, 01:56 PM

It's not that they were bred to have a stronger jaw, it was that they were bred to have a higher tolerance for things like pain, and a higher endurance then most other dogs. Historically, those dogs that would tolerate or ignore discomfort and pain and finish the task they were required to perform were the dogs that were bred and the sort of dogs breeders strove to produce. This is the trait of “gameness” that so many breed fanciers speak of, which may be defined as, “The desire to continue on and/or complete a task despite pain and discomfort". I guess all I am trying to say, is I don't think it would be a big issue if other breeds tried it. Although with the aggression issues her dog has, maybe it's best to leave this type of play out.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2011, 06:44 PM

I was one of those people who did think their jaws locked, now that I have done research into it every reliable source I have found has said exactly what Bella has said.

It's not that they physically lock their jaw... they mentally lock it. They just don't let go until the task is done.
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2011, 06:44 PM

I don't see why someone would want to train a dog to hang form a tire by its teeth...
    Dogs Expert

Feb 27, 2011, 06:51 PM

I guess just personal preference.
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2011, 06:56 PM

The only thing I see wrong with it is the stigma attached to it.

Yes it might be harmless but if the average Joe sees a Pitbull latched on a tire not letting go... what are they going to think?
    Doesn't help the breeds image at all.
    Dogs Expert

Feb 27, 2011, 06:58 PM

I totally agree with that. It's aggressive behavior regardless.
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2011, 07:39 PM

Agreed!
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2011, 06:00 PM

Sorry, for some reason I didn't get a message saying this thread had replies!

Hunter went and seen a behavourist (She actually made time, what a suprise) and she said she thinks Hunter has a high prey drive, so I am supposed to do things that let his aggression out... Some suggestions I got were: Tye a toy to a string and whip it around, play lots of fetch, hide things and make him go find them...

I don't see how this is much different than what the behavourist told me to do...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2011, 06:16 PM

I have no professional advice concerning this BUT I have had a number of German Shepherds. Some of mine have been aggressive. I have NEVER "allowed" my dogs to know how strong they are.

At the moment my GSD (and the Vet says she's the biggest GSD he's ever seen, she has a head like a basketball) weighs 150 pounds. She's a big, solid dog. I weigh 110 pounds. I'm the boss.

I've always been the "top dog" and one of the ways I've done this is by not letting her know her own strength.

Maybe it's scientific, maybe it's not, but it works for me.

I don't want my dog hanging from a tire by her jaws.
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2011, 07:25 PM

You claim your dog is a hound of some sort, instead of teaching him to use his mouth and training the muscles in his upper head and jaw area to be stronger and DO DAMAGE TO YOU.. Go overboard with obedience.

Do agility

If he fetches like crazy, try dock docks.

Make him learn tricks.. Tricks are frustrating for a dog because they have to figure out what you want. Its not like sit or down where you show him what you want.. He has to do it on his own.

A trainer came this way a few years ago and introduced training techniques for shelter dogs.. Maybe it'll work for you. You say nothing, the dog performs. Ex. Sitting and watching TV, give him an award every time he sits, or downs, or crawls... He will have to think of something that will give him a treat.

Run the snot out of him! I have high powered hunting dogs that become very destructive if bored. They have to run, and not on a leash. If they don't run, they are unlivable... Find a place you can let him off leash without other distracts and let him just run!

Teach him to use his nose. Hide treats around the house and make him find them.

There are 100 different things you can use to redirect your dogs psychoticness. Suggesting to have your dog show aggression towards any one thing is NOT a good thing... and I would question that "behaviorists" approach to make him be better.
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2011, 07:36 PM

I agree with lucky, you have to be very careful how you decide to excise his prey drive.

Things like lure coursing (the toy on a string) are fantastic for dogs with high prey drive but the problem with that is it ENCOURAGES it.
    I know you have ferrets so I don't think encouraging the prey drive is a good thing.

Find other ways to let out his energy and excitement.

Here's a great idea... although it may not be practical for everyone :D

YouTube - Jerry needs no help playing with his ball.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pit Bull Ban [ 56 Answers ]

What counties ban Pit Bulls in the State of Florida? Thanks for answering.:)

Pit Bull Insurance [ 11 Answers ]

I just got a pit bull and I know she would be covered under house insurance but that is my problem that house I live in does not have home insurance. Is there an insurance that I can get that just covers my dog. I found one site the other day but I have not been able to find it again and even if I...

Pit Bull [ 1 Answers ]

I have 1yr old and she just went into heat about 4months ago and is already in heat again is it safe to start breeding her or should I wait. Also can I buy the shots for the puppies some where because the pet store does not sell it and the needles to do so. And is there any spacific diet I should...

Pit bull has worms [ 2 Answers ]

My dog (pitt bull)has worms that are shaped kind of like a tooth, and he won't gain any weight, it looks like I am starving him. What kind are these worms and how do I get rid of them??

View more questions Search