Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gonzalez4x Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2011, 10:48 AM
    Can your employer make you work through your lunch.
    Can your employer make you work through your lunch and then make you either start later or leave early so they don't have to pay you over time.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2011, 10:52 AM

Is there an employment contract or union?

No, you have to be paid for the hours you work - OR you have to get compensatory time off IF you are NOT a salaried employee.
    gonzalez4x Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2011, 11:03 AM
    I am none union and we don't have any contract. They make us work through lunch then we have to leave early or start late and I would rather get paid over time for working through my lunch not start later.
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Feb 25, 2011, 11:11 AM
    In my state, an employer is legally obligated to give employees thirty minutes of uninterrupted paid break for five or more hours of work. In addition, an employer must give employees 15 minute paid breaks for every four hours of work.

As far as I remember federal law doesn't require breaks but only defines when compensation is required. You can see the law here:
    http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=48d6ee3b99d3b3a97b1bf189e1757786&rg n=div5&view=text&node=29:3.1.1.2.44&idno=29#29:3.1 .1.2.44.3.436.10

To really know what type of breaks your employer is legally obligated to give, you would have to look up state laws. If you don't live in the USA, then local laws. Here is a site for state labor offices: http://www.dol.gov/whd/contacts/state_of.htm

Uber Member

Feb 25, 2011, 12:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzalez4x View Post
    i am none union and we dont have any contract. they make us work through lunch then we have to leave early or start late and i would rather get paid over time for working through my lunch not start later.

What State?
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2011, 12:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by southamerica View Post
    In my state, an employer is legally obligated to give employees thirty minutes of uninterrupted paid break for five or more hours of work. In addition, an employer must give employees 15 minute paid breaks for every four hours of work.

As far as I remember federal law doesn't require breaks but only defines when compensation is required. You can see the law here:
    Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:

To really know what type of breaks your employer is legally obligated to give, you would have to look up state laws. If you don't live in the USA, then local laws. Here is a site for state labor offices: U.S. Department of Labor — Wage and Hour Division (WHD) — State Labor Offices
    You didn't properly post your sites - they don't open.

At any rate, Federal Law states: "Federal law does not require lunch or coffee breaks. However, when employers do offer short breaks (usually lasting about 5 to 20 minutes), federal law considers the breaks as compensable work hours that would be included in the sum of hours worked during the work week and considered in determining if overtime was worked. Unauthorized extensions of authorized work breaks need not be counted as hours worked when the employer has expressly and unambiguously communicated to the employee that the authorized break may only last for a specific length of time, that any extension of the break is contrary to the employer's rules, and any extension of the break will be punished.

Bona fide meal periods (typically lasting at least 30 minutes), serve a different purpose than coffee or snack breaks and, thus, are not work time and are not compensable."

Here is the law by State:
    California – 1/2 hour after 5 hours worked, unless shift is only 6 hours
    Colorado – 1/2 hour after 5 hours worked, unless shift is only 6 hours
    Connecticut – if shift is 7.5 hours, 1/2 hour lunch after first 2 hours but before last 2 hours
    Delaware – if shift is 7.5 hours, 1/2 hour lunch after first 2 hours but before last 2 hours
    Illinois – required for hotel room attendants only
    Kentucky – reasonable meal period between 3rd and 5th hour of shift
    Maine – 1/2 hour after 6 consecutive hours
    Massachusetts – 1/2 hour, if work is more than 6 hours
    Minnesota – reasonable period, if shift is 8+ consecutive hours
    Nebraska – 1/2 hour, off premises, at suitable lunch time
    Nevada – 1/2 hour, if work is 8 consecutive hours
    New Hampshire – 1/2 hour, after 5 consecutive hours – unless employee can eat while working
    New York – 1/2 hour, if shift is more than 6 hours
    North Dakota – 1/2 hour, if work is more than 5 hours
    Oregon – 1/2 hour
    Rhode Island – 20 minutes for 6 hour shift; 30 minutes for 8 hour shift
    Tennessee – 1/2 hour, if shift is 6 hours
    Washington – 1/2 hour, for 5 hour shift
    West Virginia – 20 minutes, if work is more than 6 consecutive hours
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 25, 2011, 12:22 PM

Sounds like you are an "at will" employee. The only law that may apply to you is if you work more than 40 hrs in a week, then OT would kick in by federal law. Breaks and lunch periods are not required by law in any of the 50 states I know of. If they were to give you a lunch break they do not have to pay you for it or count it toawrd your 40 hrs needed to qualify for OT. Southamerica, we await your reply to what state do you work in.

Feb 25, 2011, 12:37 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    I work in Colorado. We have a state law posted in our break room that CO-DOL sent to our HR. It states the regulations that I posted above.
    @JudyKayTee thank you for correcting my links... for my future reference how would I turn an URL into a link the way you did?
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2011, 12:40 PM

I highlight the link and the "paste" it in. It shows up in blue and you can click onto it.

I just got back from Boulder - I don't know where you are. Beautiful State - am going back in Summer to see it again.

Feb 25, 2011, 02:20 PM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    Thanks for the help!
    Boulder is a pretty famous city and definitely a beautiful one! I do love my Colorado... but itching to get out as well :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 25, 2011, 02:26 PM

But if I am not mistaken, that is 1/2 hour off for lunch, it is not a paid lunch, the employee is given the time off but not paid for it
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 25, 2011, 02:38 PM

It appears Co. has some very unusal rules Colorado Labor Board Lunch Break Laws | eHow.com There are no federal laws like this so each state can do their own thing, I guess

Feb 25, 2011, 02:59 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    You are correct. An employer is not required to pay wages for a lunch break, they just need to allow time for an employee to eat/regroup without interruption.

Feb 25, 2011, 03:10 PM
    ballengerb1-if Colorado's laws are unusual in that most states don't require lunches from employers, I am not about to complain :)

OP-where are you from? We could see if your employer has to give you a lunch or not. Also, how long are your shifts? I'm guessing at least 8 hours if there's concern about avoiding overtime?
    salasy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2012, 08:40 AM
    I work in Texas, I am a receptionist - 40 hr. week. It's a small office and I am constantly required to answer the phone, do the mail or greet clients during my lunch hour, with no compensation for my time, either with OT (which is not allowed) or time compensation. Is this legal by federal state law?
    salasy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2012, 08:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by salasy View Post
    I work in texas, i am a receptionist - 40 hr. week. its a small office and i am constantly required to answer the phone, do the mail or greet clients during my lunch hour, with no compensation for my time, either with OT (which is not allowed) or time compensation. Is this legal by federal state law?
    They also do not let me leave early nor come in late to compensate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Id like to make a clain for non paying employer/contractor [ 6 Answers ]

HEllo, I would like to make a complain to my previous employer/contractor for my cleaning company that didn't pay us for the job we have done for them. So I am wondering if I have any chances to get our money that we work for? Please give me an advice of what do I have to do, who should I...

Live & work in NY but work for same employer elsewhere.taxes? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in NY and am employed in NY but am sent to work in other states when needed. Am I required to file taxes for every state they send me to work in, or just NY?

Expected to work through lunch with pay still deducted [ 3 Answers ]

As a seasonal employee of the state of NY, I work 4 ten hour days in which I am deducted one half hour from my paycheck for lunch. It is common knowledge that I cannot walk away from my job at any point during the 10 hour stretch. Sometimes I barley have time to use the bathroom. It is also...

Can an Employer ask how much I used to make? [ 2 Answers ]

I went for an interview (Bed Bath & Beyond) as a District Manager and upon conclusion of the interview, the person interviewing ask me if I could bring a copy of my last 2 paystubs on my 2nd interview so they can easily know how much to offer me, is this ethical? I have done so many interviews...

View more questions Search