Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 24, 2011, 06:31 PM
    Death penalty for women suffering miscarriages? What next?
    I hardly ever post in current events, mainly because I'm in Canada, and I really don't follow American politics, nor do I really care about politics in general. Heck, I can't even vote because I'm not a Canadian citizen.

This however is something that I really feel needs to be discussed.

Ga. Law Could Give Death Penalty for Miscarriages | Mother Jones

Apparently Georgia is trying to pass a law that women that suffer miscarriages will have to prove that it was an act of nature, or they will be prosecuted and possibly receive the death penalty.

Can this be true? Is this possible?

I had a horrific miscarriage years ago. I almost died. Now Georgia is trying to pass a law that, if I lived in the states, could possibly result in my own death, simply because I was unlucky.

I'm flabbergasted. What next, are we going to reintroduce slavery, stone women to death for adultery? It seems like we're going backwards.

Any comments?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2011, 06:35 PM

That will never pass... there are monumentally stupid bills submitted every day that die in committee without ever making it to the floor for a vote. Much less making it to the senate... or the Governors office for a state or the Prez for the federal stuff. And it would have to pass every step of the way before it ever became a law.
    Pets Expert

Feb 24, 2011, 06:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    That will never pass......there are monumentally stupid bills submitted every day that die in committe without ever making it to the floor for a vote.
    I'm sure it won't pass either Smoothy, but the fact that they even thought of it is too alarming for words.

Who are these idiots coming up with these ideas? Obviously they're not women.

Really though, what's next? Will someone try to re-implement slavery, maybe women will lose the vote, or be stoned in the streets for committing adultery.

What's next? If something this absurd can even be considered, what will they consider next?
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2011, 06:42 PM

Trust me... thats not the most bizarre thing to ever be presented. Its easy to get it presented... a lot harder to get support to bring it to a vote... and WAY harder to pass the House... and the senate by majority vote... and even then the Gov in this case could still veto it... THEN it could still be passed but only by a 2/3 supermajority vote in both Senate and House.

Considering the massive brainpower ammassed there (thats sarcasm)... I'm surprised they haven't voted on who has the most offensive flatulance yet. Or maybe they have and we never heard about it.

There are books written on the stupid things they have done in the past...

But it doesn't take much to be presented... but it does take a lot more before anything else happens, thank goodness. Wonder how much alcohol consumption preceded that one.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2011, 06:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Who are these idiots coming up with these ideas? Obviously they're not women.
    Hello Alty:

The freedom loving right wing has decided that women shouldn't be free when it comes to their women parts.

excon
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2011, 06:54 PM

Psst... its a democrat that submitted that one after tying on a good one at the bar...
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2011, 06:56 PM
    Psst.....its a a democrat that submitted that one
    Hello smoothy:

Pssst. Democrats can be right wingers too.

excon
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2011, 07:16 PM

Hello again, smoothy:

Uhhh, no he isn't. Franklin has been called "the conscience of the Republican Caucus" because he believes that civil government should return to its biblically and constitutionally defined role.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 24, 2011, 07:21 PM

There are 1000's of stupid laws presented each year in state courts. GA currently is trying to stop teaching hand writing in school, just teach to print. * that even looks like it may pass.
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Feb 24, 2011, 07:22 PM
    [QUOTE=Altenweg;2720480]Who are these idiots coming up with these ideas? QUOTE]

IDIOTS!

That's who. People who have NOTHING better to do.

I'm with Smoothy, that will NEVER pass...
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2011, 07:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello smoothy:

Pssst. Democrats can be right wingers too.

excon
    And Republicans can be liberals as well...
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2011, 07:31 PM
    And Republicans can be liberals as well....
    Hello again, smoothy:

Yeah, but THIS guy ISN'T a Democrat. I don't know where you get your facts. See my post above and follow the link.

excon
    Pets Expert

Feb 24, 2011, 07:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello Alty:

The freedom loving right wing has decided that women shouldn't be free when it comes to their women parts.

excon
    It won't be long before they come after men Exy. ;)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 24, 2011, 08:09 PM
    [QUOTE=Enigma1999;2720538]
    Who are these idiots coming up with these ideas? QUOTE]

IDIOTS!

That's who. People who have NOTHING better to do.

I'm with Smoothy, that will NEVER pass....

Please understand of course that this is the "spin" that was put on what they were talking about doing.

If you look at it from another view, that if the state proves that they did something ( perhaps take drugs) perhaps did self harm, that caused it, then with evidence of what they did, charges could be brought.
    Consider it along the same lines of a fetus being killed in a car wreck and the other driver being charged with manslaughter.
    There is no current laws in place if the mother does harmful acts that cause the death of the child.

So this idea has been twisted to say that the mother has to prove she did not do something
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2011, 08:21 PM

Hello Padre:

I believe we understand what the bill is about. But, if abortion is available and affordable, no woman would hurt herself to induce an abortion... That's what they did BEFORE abortion was legal. It's only something a woman would do if she COULDN'T get a legal abortion..

Can she get one in your state?

excon
    Pets Expert

Feb 24, 2011, 08:22 PM

But Chuck, they're trying to take away a woman's right to abort an unwanted pregnancy as well. Even if the woman is raped.

If a woman decides to terminate an unwanted pregnancy that's her right. I only have a problem with it if it's done after the first trimester. But it is her right.

There's so much debate about when an unborn child ceases to be just a group of cells and becomes a living being. If you read the article they're claiming that human status of an unborn child is reached at conception. If a woman suffers a miscarriage she must prove that she did nothing to provoke that miscarriage. That's sometimes impossible.

I miscarried at 3 months with my last pregnancy. The baby had died in utero 2 weeks before I started bleeding heavily. After an ultrasound to confirm that I was indeed miscarrying, they sent me home, said to call if I had complications.

I went home and started bleeding like a stuck pig. Clots the size of my fist, 5 or more an hour. I thought nothing of it. I just figured that was the baby passing.

It wasn't until the next day that I finally went to the hospital. It was the fact that I couldn't stand or remember my own name that finally prompted that decision. When I got to the hospital it was like a scene from a movie. I was rushed in, immediately received blood, doctors all around, people screaming code this and that. They had to do an emergency D & C. I almost died. Had I waited any longer to go to the hospital we wouldn't be having this conversation.

If after all that I had to defend myself, prove that I hadn't killed the child inside of me, that would be the last straw. It's horrific enough to lose a child, but to be suspected of "murder" when you did nothing wrong, is absolutely ridiculous.
    Pets Expert

Feb 24, 2011, 08:24 PM

Can she get one in your state?
    I didn't even consider that. Call me stupid, maybe I'm having a blonde moment, but is there any state in the US where abortions are still illegal?
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2011, 08:29 PM
    Call me stupid, maybe I'm having a blonde moment, but is there any state in the US where abortions are still illegal?
    Hello again, Alty:

There was nothing stupid about your comment.. Abortion remains legal in every state in this country. What I meant, was AVAILABLE. The anti abortion movement, having killed a few abortion providers, has WON the intimidation war. As legal as it is, there's MANY places in this great country of ours, where it's not available...

Plus, their war on Planned Parenthood will limit it even more.

excon
    Pets Expert

Feb 24, 2011, 08:41 PM

Hi Exy,

I love all my US friends, but I really have to say that I'm very glad I live in Canada.

An abortion here, no big deal. Not that I'd know first hand, but I have many friends that do, and it's never been an issue.
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Feb 24, 2011, 08:42 PM

I guess my whole point is that I believe that it should be the woman's choice if she wants to abort an unwanted pregnancy.

I for one would never have an abortion at a clinic or self abort, however, if a woman chooses to do so, then that is her choice.

If a woman suffers from a miscarriage then I don't believe that she should have to justify it being legit. It's traumatic enough to have to go through that, let alone someone judging you on how or why it did happen.

Sorry if I am coming off as being rude. That's not my intention. I am very passionate about this and I think this is silly. Also someone just gave me a reddie in the adult sexuality forum for asking their age. PFFT!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Death Penalty [ 65 Answers ]

Hello: Ohio is looking into backup procedures in case the standard execution techniques fail, as they did on Sept. 15, when technicians at the state prison in Lucasville tried for over two hours to maintain an intravenous connection in order to inject Romell Broom with lethal drugs for the...

Death penalty [ 7 Answers ]

Well I have a essay due tomorrow and its only five paragrapgs I'm not asking you for an answer but... I need help... It is about death penalty and I think their should be... My three reason are... 1. it saves us space and money 2. it brings colsure to the victims family 3. and it's a...

Midlife women suffering a shortage of sex? [ 3 Answers ]

What's happening here? Mature ladies re-pledging virginity? Reinventing Romance: Life Without Sex - Page1 -  MSN Lifestyle: Boomers Or what? Feminism?

The death penalty [ 2 Answers ]

I was just watching one of those court shows and they were talking about the death penalty. I live in Canada where that is not done, but I just wanted to know what you people think about it.

View more questions Search