Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Feb 24, 2011, 08:45 PM

I can understand where they were trying to go with this but you're right this will never pass.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2011, 08:58 PM

Hello again,

I would love to agree with my MORE than reasonable friends in their belief that something THIS draconian, simply could NOT pass.

But, when you've got a right wing governor, a right wing senate, and a right wing assembly, draconian or not, it certainly COULD pass.

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2011, 05:01 AM

I agree this bill will not pass. However there is an unwarranted hysteria being generated by rags like MJ and DU over this issue.
    The text of the bill does not do what is being claimed here.

'Prenatal murder' means the intentional removal of a fetus from a woman with an intention other than to produce a live birth or to remove a dead fetus; provided, however, that if a physician makes a medically justified effort to save the lives of both the mother and the fetus and the fetus does not survive, such action shall not be prenatal murder. Such term does not include a naturally occurring expulsion of a fetus known medically as a 'spontaneous abortion' and popularly as a 'miscarriage' so long as there is no human involvement whatsoever in the causation of such event. (c) The act of prenatal murder is contrary to the health and well-being of the citizens of this state and to the state itself and is illegal in this state in all instances. (d) Any person committing prenatal murder in this state shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction, shall be punished as provided in subsection (d) of Code Section 16-5-1.
    The law protects the mother who has a natural miscarriage as miscarriages are exempt .
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2011, 06:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Hi Exy,

I love all my US friends, but I really have to say that I'm very glad I live in Canada.

An abortion here, no big deal. Not that I'd know first hand, but I have many friends that do, and it's never been an issue.
    Personally as a conservative I really don't have much of an issue with early term abortions (first trimester only)... I have a HUGE issue with the people getting them expecting the taxpayers to fund them. I believe in you want to play you got to pay. They want them... they foot the bill. Don't expect me to foot the bill because a condom is too much of an inconvienience or taking a pill requires too much discipline. And yeah... most people getting them here fall into one of those two categories. The ones that took reasonible precautions are the minority.

But since Tomderr55 dug up the actual bill... and the wording is completely different, and as that is worded it does change everything. There have been cases were pregnant women have been abducted and killed and their still living baby cut out of their stomach but technically womb(sometimes they are killed first, other times they die during or shortly after). Usually by some really strange women.

As I read the bill now that it has been revealed it would subject those people to capital punishment rather than just a few years in jail. And in those cases I believe the Human race WOULD be served by taking them out of it once and for all. As should certain other offenders.

I wonder if those people originally quoted that are out grossly misrepresenting the bill ( Mother Jones in this case) are actually part of the anti death penalty crowd.
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2011, 07:03 AM

Hello again,

I, too, appreciate the information tom provided. However, after reading it, I have a different understanding of it than my right wing friends...

In tom's post, it says that ANYBODY who removes a fetus and "....makes a medically justified effort to save the lives of both the mother and the fetus and the fetus does not survive, such action shall NOT BE prenatal murder."

Presumably, should a physician remove a fetus and NOT attempt to save its life, such action SHALL BE prenatal murder.

Now, I don't know about you, but it looks like this bill outlaws abortion..

excon
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2011, 07:05 AM

Abortion unfortunately is the law of the land (Article VI, Clause 2
    ). Georgia cannot make laws to the contrary.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 25, 2011, 07:13 AM

It also sounds like late term SAB (spontaneous abortion, otherwise known as miscarriage) is illegal. So, would I be held responsible if I don't try to save the life of a fetus born at 20 weeks gestation? Remember that viability only begins at 24 weeks, and even the survivability at that age is up to whatever higher power you believe in.
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2011, 07:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    abortion unfortunately is the law of the land (Article VI, Clause 2
    ). Georgia cannot make laws to the contrary.
    Hello again, tom:

Of course they can't, just like Washington can't pass a law legalizing marijuana - but they're trying to. What happens if they do?

In Georgia, they can't pass a law outlawing abortion - but they're trying to. What happens if they do?

excon
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2011, 07:49 AM

You are divining an intent that is just not there. I guess the child in the womb is undeserving of any protection.
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2011, 08:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    It also sounds like late term SAB (spontaneous abortion, otherwise known as miscarriage) is illegal. So, would I be held responsible if I don't try to save the life of a fetus born at 20 weeks gestation? Remember that viability only begins at 24 weeks, and even the survivability at that age is up to whatever higher power you believe in.
    Why wouldn't there be an attempt to save the baby's life when there is medical justification for doing so ?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 25, 2011, 08:05 AM
    Why wouldn't there be an attempt to save the baby's life when there is medical justification for doing so ?
    Prior to 24 weeks of gestation there is little to no viability of a fetus due to brain stem involvement and lung maturation.
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2011, 08:12 AM

Then there would be no medical justification for the attempt.
    I see nothing in bill that puts medical practitioners at risk for making that call.
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2011, 08:27 AM
    I guess the child in the womb is undeserving of any protection.
    Hello again, tom:

I guess the rights of the mother are undeserving of any protection. And, we're back to square one.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Death Penalty [ 65 Answers ]

Hello: Ohio is looking into backup procedures in case the standard execution techniques fail, as they did on Sept. 15, when technicians at the state prison in Lucasville tried for over two hours to maintain an intravenous connection in order to inject Romell Broom with lethal drugs for the...

Death penalty [ 7 Answers ]

Well I have a essay due tomorrow and its only five paragrapgs I'm not asking you for an answer but... I need help... It is about death penalty and I think their should be... My three reason are... 1. it saves us space and money 2. it brings colsure to the victims family 3. and it's a...

Midlife women suffering a shortage of sex? [ 3 Answers ]

What's happening here? Mature ladies re-pledging virginity? Reinventing Romance: Life Without Sex - Page1 -  MSN Lifestyle: Boomers Or what? Feminism?

The death penalty [ 2 Answers ]

I was just watching one of those court shows and they were talking about the death penalty. I live in Canada where that is not done, but I just wanted to know what you people think about it.

View more questions Search