Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2011, 01:12 PM
    "Shelter" in my area
    So there is a "shelter" in my area. It is run by a girl that is about 20. She runs it out of her home and I knew one of her roomates so I went over there once. The cages were discusting and jam packed, he said it was just because they were getting a new caging system... cool. But now I have read on there Facebook wall about all the animals that have died there, and I think it is that she isn't giving them the care they need (if you look at the pictures the cages look pretty gross). And all the animals die around the same time, first a bunch of rabbits (5 or so), then 2 mice, then 2 ferrets. She posts it all on Facebook (if you'd like the link just PM me and I'll send it) when they die...

Im really concerned for the animals... now I don't know who to call since the humane society here doesn't deal with small animals (My mom called on my neighbour who let her rabbit run free around the neighbourhood and my mom almost ran it over, the refused to do anything)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 24, 2011, 01:16 PM

Animal abuse? Call the police?

Call a vet to report it to him and ask for advice.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2011, 01:16 PM

Call the Local SPCA office (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals). I'm sur ethey will have something to say about it. Assuming you have those in Canada.
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2011, 03:49 PM

The only thing in my area that related to animal cruelty, that could do anything is the Humane Society, and Im just wondering if there was possibly another organization I could try contacting... The police already said I don't have enough evidence for them to get a warrant... I'd just like someone to go check it out and make sure its okay.
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2011, 03:58 PM

Call the Humane Society... they will care and know who to call. If they see it I'm sure they likely won't turn a blind eye to it. Or at least know who and where to apply pressure.
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2011, 04:02 PM

My mom called when my neighbours rabbit was running free, the didn't care because they only deal with cats and dogs. There is really no one around to call and check, I was more looking for somewhere I can report a "shelter"
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2011, 04:05 PM

I know what you are saying... the Humane Society deals with issues such as this... where animals are not treated humanely. Trust me... THEY will know exactly who to call and what they can and can't do.
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2011, 04:41 PM

No. WE HAVE CALLED ABOUT ISSUES LIKE THIS! They do nothing, recommend no one, the Humane Society out here is USELESS for issues like this. They don't deal with small animals and refuse to deal with them at all.
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2011, 04:42 PM

Ok... you didn't say you called them in this thread until now.
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2011, 04:58 PM

Um I never called about this but I have said I've called about issues like this.

In my original post

"now i dont know who to call since the humane society here doesnt deal with small animals (My mom called on my neighbour who let her rabbit run free around the neighbourhood and my mom almost ran it over, the refused to do anything)"

And my third post

"My mom called when my neighbours rabbit was running free, the didnt care because they only deal with cats and dogs."
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2011, 05:30 PM

Strange since they do deal with cats and dogs, as well as Rabbits etc in the USA. Basically anything with 4 legs or wings... Maybe not someone's pet cockroaches however.

What do they restrict themselves to up in The Great White North :D

Bison, Polar bears, Horses and Cattle? (thats an attempt at humour if its not obvious)
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2011, 06:12 PM

Haha. Yeah, there a sad excuse for a Humane Society they won't take any animal other than a cat or dog no matter what, there are little home run rescues that will rescue cats and dogs, but that's only by owner surrender... the funny part. Yes they do take live stock so the horses and cattle wasn't far off, yes they probably would take a bison if someone asked. Polar bear Im not sure.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 24, 2011, 06:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Strange since they do deal with cats and dogs, as well as Rabbits etc in the USA. Basicly anything with 4 legs or wings.....Maybe not someones pet cockroaches however.

What do they restrict themselves to up in The Great White North :D

Bison, Polar bears, Horses and Cattle? (thats an attempt at humour if its not obvious)
    It is strange. Our humane society in Alberta takes every animals brought in. Last year they even had a pot bellied pig.

Dog, cats and rabbits are the ones that get brought in the most, but any animal that relinquished is accepted.

Emily, is there a humane society in a bigger town near you?
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2011, 06:49 PM

There is one that is three hours away, I don't know if they would really do anything. But I guess it wouldn't hurt to call and just see if they'd check in.

Im not 100% certain of anything, but for almost 10 animals to die in this "shelters" care while it has only been open since July of 2010, and those 10 are ones I have heard of since only December! I think something might be a little wrong...
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Feb 25, 2011, 11:58 AM

I don't understand why the Humane Society won't help. I know that the one in Calgary has bunnies, hamsters, dogs, cats etc etc in it. Have you tried calling your town or city hall to see if they are breaking any zoning regulations? Health department? If that does not work try the media. I would just keep calling different people until I found someone that would listen and help.

Susan
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2011, 12:09 PM

Yes, but Calgary is a big city. I live in more of a town (Or a very small town). Someone called the city on them (I'm not to sure why though), and what she's doing is legal, since there is no limit on the number of small animals your allowed to have, so calling the city won't help. And I don't want to get the media involved, because what if she isn't doing anything wrong and its just coincidence these animals are dying?
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Feb 25, 2011, 12:51 PM

Emily if you are very concerned then keep calling government agencies.. there are more laws involved than how many small animals a person can have. I have given my suggestion and that is all I can do. It is up to you what you do with the information given.

Susan
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 27, 2011, 11:12 AM

Weird cause I live in a SUPER small town and the SPCA and the humane society deal with any animal here. Someone even brought in their fish tank and we took it in. Can you send me the link to the fb page Emily?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 27, 2011, 08:26 PM

I can only answer from US laws, but there are laws about "shelters" and laws about how animals have to be cared for, housed, and if they are operating a commercial business they have several licenses they have to have, along with property zoning and more
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2011, 04:10 PM

Call her in for hoarding. The police will investigate and then involve the humane society.

A lot of hoarders claim to be rescue. And a lot of the rescue hoarders can't afford to care for their animals properly and animals suffer.

That's what id do...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

1980 Suzuki GS 450 "rubbing" noise front wheel area [ 2 Answers ]

I hear a rubbing noise coming from the front wheel area. Just had new break pads installed and it otherwise runs fine. Seems to occur more so at higher speeds and not necessarily all the time. Rotors and pads rubbing? Something else? Anything major to be concerned about? Thanks.:)

"Beeping" noise occurs from furnace area [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Miller furnace in a mobile home. For the past two or three weeks, we've heard an occasional "beeping" noise coming from the attic area just above the furnace. It sounds like a back-up warning from vans but not as loud. It occurs about every five or ten minutes. I cannot locate the...

View more questions Search