Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sivk2000 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2011, 01:10 PM
    J2 tax
    Thank you MukatA. That was very helpful.I will use 1040 NR form. What should I write for the line 22? Total income exempt by treaty from page 5, schedule OI, item L12?
    Will J2 with EAD can also get the benefit of the treaty? Will they also need to use the same form 1040NR?
    Thank you
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 14, 2011, 12:10 PM
    The treaty benefit is normally reserved ONLY for the primary visaholder, I.e. the J-1 visaholder.

As a J-2 visaholder, you ARE a non-resident alien and will file Form 1040NR, but you get no treaty exemptions. Further, your employer IS required to withhold FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

General Tax Query related to Federal and State Tax and Filing Status. [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Married Indian resident. I had visited US in 2006 twice on H1B. I have never been to US earlier. Period of Visit: March 2006-April2006 approx 44 Days - Income from NY. Stayed in NJ August 2006 – Sept 2006 approx 32 Days. - Income from NJ. Stayed in NJ My company paid the salary...

I had filed W-7 & tax return form, I got my ITIN, when should expect my tax returns? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I had my filed W-7 (for ITIN ) & my husbands tax return form, I got my ITIN , so in how many days should I expect my tax returns?

How to get social securtiy tax and medicare tax back (J-1, sign tax treaty)? [ 1 Answers ]

I hold J-1 visa and am a researcher from China, and sign the tax treaty form. I can file tax forms to get federal and state fax back. But there are social securtiy tax withheld and medicare tax withheld over 1000 USD in total. Do I need to pay that or can I get them back and how? Thank you so...

Tax for F-1 visa on OPT with tax treaty, resident alien for tax purpose [ 2 Answers ]

HI--I have multiple "identities" with regard to tax: 1. I'm an F-1 visa holder 2. I'm on OPT from Sept.2007-Aug.2008 3. I have benefits of tax treaty, under which I can be exempted from federal taxes up to $5000 a year for wages, and unlimited amount for fellowship 4. I'm a resident alien for...

Form 1116, foreign tax credit: Tax paid vs tax accrued, exchange rates and dates [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm applying for foreign tax credit on taxes I've paid / accrued on interest earned in savings accounts and certificate deposits in New Zealand. For cds, the bank statements don't give precise dates for when taxes were withheld. And so I have several questions relating to form 1116, Part II: ...

View more questions Search