Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chrisryan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2011, 11:32 AM
    Which makes a better mate for a dominant male chihuahua?
    I have a 4 year old 9lb male chihuahua Ive heard conflicting sories about which is better to get for him for a friend a male or female. Can someone please clear this up for me as I want both dogs to e happy.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2011, 11:47 AM

Male or female makes little difference if they are desexed, it comes down to the individual personalities of the dogs.

For example I have a very dominant female here, she would not get along well with another dominant male OR female, however she gets along really well with my submissive male.

In your circumstance I would look for an older dog that is submissive to your Chi to avoid territorial problems.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 24, 2011, 03:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Male or female makes little difference if they are desexed, it comes down to the individual personalities of the dogs.

For example I have a very dominant female here, she would not get along well with another dominant male OR female, however she gets along really well with my submissive male.

In your circumstance I would look for an older dog that is submissive to your Chi to avoid territorial problems.

Shazzy took the words right out of my mouth!

The best thing to do is ask your breeder if you can bring your chi over to meet the pups or other dogs and see which one your dog gets on best with. It's best to do this on neutral territory, and only one pup at a time. If all the pups rush your dog, he may become over whelmed and lash out.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2011, 10:52 PM

I would suggest not a puppy. He will beat it up.

Some people prefer the male and female household, however, it doesn't matter. It depends on who wants to be in charge.

You're just going to have to pick a dog that you like and your dog likes.
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2011, 12:30 PM

I recommend possibly going to check your shelter for an older dog, this way you already know its personality (it doesn't have to be super old, just 2 or 3). Let your dog meet the dog and keep going till you find one your dog likes.
    Dogs Expert

Feb 25, 2011, 03:40 PM

I really don't think a puppy is a bad idea. Dominant dogs tend to be more patient and excepting of puppies.
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2011, 04:38 PM

Id just think if you got an older dog it would already have a submissive or a dominant attitude and they wouldn't have to fight over alpha if you got a submissive one.
    Dogs Expert

Feb 26, 2011, 10:17 AM

A dom dog, may not be as accepting towards an older adult dog. It's a touch and go, that's why it's best to let the chi meet it's new potential partner on neutral grounds FIRST to make sure they will get on OK.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why would male cats try to mate with a female cat that has been fixed? [ 4 Answers ]

A few months ago we took a stray cat that showed up at our house to the vet to get her fixed so she can't get pregnant. Now that it is mating season male cats outside will not leave her alone. They bite her neck and try to mate with her. Is this normal? If so, why are they doing this since she...

How old does a male dachshund need to be before he can mate [ 4 Answers ]

I have a male dachshund who is 5 months and he is starting to hump everything I was wondering if and when he could mate

9 week old male chihuahua not eating much [ 2 Answers ]

9 week old male chihuahua not eating much not drinking much either but seems to be in good health sleeps a lot but still likes to play. We get his food dish amply supplied with same food the breeder fed with. Tom Coley >Removed<

Dominant Male and Dominant Female Living Together [ 16 Answers ]

We recently took in a new female dog- a pomeranian chihuahua mix who is about 2 1/2 yrs old. We already had a 5 yr old male pomeranian poodle mix. Both unaltered. I've never had two dogs before, so I'm just curious about how they are interacting. It seems like they both have dominant...

View more questions Search