Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SIMBRIAL Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2011, 08:22 AM
    Owning a property on a G1 visa
    I still have one more question.
    My husband (us citizen) and i (g1 visa holder) own a property in the us . The mortgage payment is withdrawn automatically from my bank account. How should we proceed with the tax filing in april?
    Both our names are on the property, but the mortgage payment is paid off from my personal account. Can my husband claim the property and get 100% tax credit? Or should it be 50% and i thus should claim the property in italy? Or i should be the only one getting the tax credit as i'm the one paying the mortgage, even so the bank put both our names on the mortgage statement as we both applied for the mortgage submitting all our financial papers combined. Is there a way that my husband can be the only one getting the benefit from the property? We file separately.
    Many thanks in advance
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 11, 2011, 11:52 PM
    Since you are NOT liable to pay U.S. taxes, your husband can, by mutual agreement, claim the full mortgage interest deduction on his return.

Mar 13, 2011, 06:27 PM
    Comment on AtlantaTaxExpert's post
    AtalantaTaxExpert, what do you exactly mean as "mutual agreement"? Should we put something in writing and notarized to be sent to the IRS along with my husband tax return?
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 14, 2011, 10:33 AM
    Nothing so formal; just tell your spouse to claim the interest deduction on his return.

You need provide a written authorization ONLY IF the IRS challenges the deduction, which is unlikely.

Mar 16, 2011, 06:26 AM
    Comment on AtlantaTaxExpert's post
    Many thanks as usual. You are always so easy in giving the right answer, which not so many professionals can do.
    Thanks again,
    Simbrial
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 16, 2011, 10:22 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Owning Property on G4 Visa [ 2 Answers ]

My husband works at the UN and we are both on a G4 visa. He doesn't pay taxes but I do. Should we buy a home would I benefit from from tax incentives for home owners since I pay taxes? Thanks kerrianntt

Co-owning property [ 5 Answers ]

Here is the situation. I co-purchased a home with what use to be a friend. Since than so many issues arose that I eventually moved out. We both signed an agreement not to sell prior to 3 years. During that time other things were written in that contract,which she broke. She made my life...

View more questions Search