Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AddyK Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2011, 12:26 PM
    Adoption
    I got married last year, and my husband wants to adopt her :)

The problem is that the last time I saw the bio dad was when I got pregnant and that was almost 7 years ago. I have no idea how to contact him (and I really don't want to, he is not a good person, last time I saw him he was a drug addict)

I don't know what to do or even who to contact to get this started... Help, please?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 23, 2011, 12:35 PM

Moved from Adoption.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 23, 2011, 03:01 PM

Was the bio father aware that he has a child? Why haven't you gone to court for child support?

Feb 23, 2011, 04:22 PM
    Yes the guy knew that I was pregnant. I never talked to him about child support because I never wanted anything from him
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 23, 2011, 04:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AddyK View Post
    Yes the guy knew that I was pregnant. I never talked to him about child support because I never wanted anything from him
    Child support is about and for the child's benefit. You should have figured a way to set your personal differences aside for the child's benefit. In not doing so it is neglect. You should file right away. The child has a right to the benefits from both parents.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 23, 2011, 05:28 PM

The first step is to hire an attorney. Your attorney will know how to prepare the petition and to attempt to find the father. And an attempt has to be made to find the father and get his permission.

Feb 23, 2011, 07:21 PM
    I provide for her just fine and I didn't need help. Wouldn't having a drug dealer in her life be more neglectful?

Feb 23, 2011, 07:22 PM
    Is there no way of doing is without the father?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 23, 2011, 07:46 PM

No, you will have to try to find the father,

And the court does not know that the bio father is not in the church choir until you take him to court and prove he is a drug user and so on
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 23, 2011, 07:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AddyK View Post
    Is there no way of doing is without the father?
    Not really. And on top of that its going to get harder trying to not do things without him because security is becoming more and more of an issue. So if (ignoring this situation) you wanted a passport for your child you would need the fathers permission. If you want to go outside the country your going to need a note from the father.

What you can do is go to court and fight it out. If he wants nothing to do with the child then all he has to do is relinquish his rights for the adoption. If he is what you say and you can prove it. The courts may take his rights away for an adoption even if he refuses. But any way you want to try this it needs to go through the courts and in some way involve the father.

Feb 23, 2011, 07:57 PM
    Comment on califdadof3's post
    Ok, I'll find a lawyer and get the process started. It shouldn't be that hard since I know he was at least arrested once in a drug raid of his house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need to open adoption records on closed adoption [ 13 Answers ]

:confused: I am looking for my son I keep hitting roadblocks today I found out it was a closed adoption I need to know how to get these records opened

Adoption at 16 [ 11 Answers ]

I'm 16 years old.I don't want to say that I hate my parents,but that's exactly what they make me do... hate them.I don't like being here with any of all my parents,can I ask to be adopted by someone else and somewhere else??

Laws for adoption and child support after adoption [ 4 Answers ]

I was wanting to know if any one might know about the laws in Arkansas for adoption. I've tried looking for my answers but I'm not to bright at this. I was wondering that when a child is adopted if child support from the other father stops? And will he still have to pay back child support that he...

How do we go about adoption [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend and me have lived together for a while. I have a little boy from a previous relationship and I am now expecting another baby and my boyfriend wants to adopt my little boy as his own and we don't know where to start. Any information will be gratefully received.

Adoption [ 1 Answers ]

I just got married and my daughter's real father lives in other state. He chose not to be in her life. I wanted to know how or can my husband adopt my daughter?

View more questions Search