Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LKEWON Posts: 33, Reputation: 3

Feb 23, 2011, 10:26 AM
    California roommate eviction
    I have been living at the home of a friend for approx. 4 1/2 years. I was in the process of helping my friend with his home improvements when he got into trouble and was arrested. He was sentanced to one year in jail. Upon his request, i had agreed to take care of his home/pets/bills etc while he was doing his time. Prior to his incarceration, i expected he would leave instructions as to what his specific needs were. But nothing. I spent the entire year responsibly taking care of his home, finishing up home improvements, landscaping projects, interior decorating etc. i took care of his dog and cat and paid for them with my own money as he did not leave me any for them. I made sure his bills were paid out of his account and on and on. Anyway, i expected to be reimbursed when he came home from jail, however, again, nothing. He did allow me to continue to room at the house while i worked on additional improvements. I inquired how much he charged for rent and he would not tell me. I contributed to 1/2 of the utilities, provided the household supplies and groceries, continued to take care of the animals and pay for them as well as financed the major projects. I felt this would more than cover my rent had he charged me. We are not in a relationship, never have been, i have no interest. It's only been platonic as long as i've known him. Now 4 1/2 years later, his home is beautifully landscaped front and back, the interior is upgraded in every room and his dog is my best friend. The cat passed away a year ago. I never signed any contract and he just rented out one of the bedrooms for $500.00 a month. This gave me something to go by as far as comparables to what i had been contributing. Plus i maintained the interior and exterior as well.
    Now that his home is completed and i'm without a job, he has rented out the room i'm in for $350.00 a month and evicted me. I have spent 46,000.00 of time and money on his home and now he's telling me i need to take him to court if i want any of that. Any ideas or rights i may excerise on this. He has only verbally evicted me. Nothing is in writing.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2011, 10:37 AM

Why are you shouting?

Caps lock key... PLEASE, turn it off.

You really... really should have gotten something in writing beforehand. He really played you pretty good it appears.

WIthout any written agreement its going to be dificult to prove he wanted or agreed to those expenditures. Clearly the only way you have a chance to collect anything it court... but court is going to take a lawyer and lawyers cost money, Being unemployed makes that unlikely you could afford it. However if you have records and reciepts hang on to them.

Hopefully someone knows what the statute of limitations would be in this case... so maybe you have time to get that job and money before it becomes too late to try something.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 23, 2011, 10:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LKEWON View Post
    ... HE ... EVICTED ME. ... HE HAS ONLY VERBALLY EVICTED ME. NOTHING IS IN WRITING.
    Eviction has a particular meaning in the law. It is a court proceeding.

What you evidently mean to say is that he has asked you to leave. If he wants to force you out he will have to do two things:
    1. give you a written "notice to quit", requiring you to leave within a certain amount of time (usually 30 days or less); and, if you fail to do so,
    2. file suit against you asking for a court order directing the police to throw you out.

Evidently you voluntarily left. If so, he doesn't need to evict you and you will have to file suit against him. Since you had nothing in writing, and as Smoothy said, it is quite possible that you may not be awarded anything for those expenses.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 23, 2011, 10:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Hopefully someone knows what the statute of limitations would be in this case. ...
    Two years;
    It appears.

(In California),
    I warn ya.

Feb 23, 2011, 03:52 PM
    Comment on AK lawyer's post
    Yes, thank you. I stand corrected. Thanks for your informatioin. I appreciate it very much. By the way, i live in california san diego, ca. if that makes a difference.

Feb 23, 2011, 03:55 PM
    Comment on smoothy's post
    Sorry about the caps. It's easier for me to read. I didn't realize it's a shout.I apologize.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2011, 05:52 PM

Yes... in the online world Typing an all caps is known as shouting... and for most of us its actually far more dificult to read.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roommate Eviction [ 1 Answers ]

How do I evict a nightmare roommate? There is no lease.I am in N.J. Please help!

Roommate eviction [ 2 Answers ]

I've been in roommate situation with a lady friend for 10 years & now she tells me I have less than 30 days to find a new place. I live on Soc. Sec. & have already paid my part of the expenses for this month so have no money to rent another place. What are my options? We live in Hemet, CA. She...

Roommate eviction [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Iowa and share my house with my boyfriend. We are separating. The house is in my name. How do I legally ask him to leave. He will not leave simply by asking. We have lived together for over two years. He has made house payment and so have I He makes more money than me so he has...

Roommate Eviction in California [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I recently sublet a room in a house I rent to a person in October of 2007. There are many issues starting to surface that may result in me asking him to leave. He is not on the main lease to the house, it is just me. I had him sign a month to month lease where he pays me rent at the first...

Eviction of roommate [ 1 Answers ]

If a guy has his girlfriend living with him but she is NOT on the lease, does he have to give her notice before he asks her to leave? If he's supposed to and he doesn't, can she call the police on him ?

View more questions Search