Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stanv68 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2011, 10:18 AM
    My 16 year old daughter don't live with mother or father
    Am I still obligated to pay my ex wife child support if my daughter doesn't live with her mother? She lives with her grandmother in California.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 23, 2011, 10:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanv68 View Post
    Am I still obligated to pay my ex wife child support if my daughter doesn't live with her mother? She lives with her grandmother in California.
    Does your ex-wife still have custody rights?

Generally, you have to continue to make support payments until the support order is changed or until the child comes of age. If your ex-wife is still the legal custodian, what financial arrangements she has with the grandmother is her business, not yours.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 23, 2011, 02:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Does your ex-wife still have custody rights?

Generally, you have to continue to make support payments until the support order is changed or until the child comes of age. If your ex-wife is still the legal custodian, what financial arrangements she has with the grandmother is her business, not yours.
    I don't exactly agree with this. If the child in question is no longer living with the mother then its clear the OP needs to go back to court and clarify what the situation is. As a matter of law in most states it's the rights of the child to be supported by both parents. So if the child is no longer in the home of the custodial parent then the courts need to be made aware of this. It may cause anything from a reduction in child support to a custody change.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am the father of a 10 yr. Old boy who wants to come and live with me. His mother an [ 3 Answers ]

I am the father of a 10 yr. old boy who wants to come and live with me and his mother won't let him. His mother and I were divorced and custody decided in Ohio, but she has since moved to Florida 2 yrs. Ago. I know that in Ohio there is no legal age that a child can decide which parent he wants to...

My 17 year old daughter wants to live with me [ 1 Answers ]

My 17 year/3 month old daughter wants to live with me and not with her mother. I am divorced and do pay child support. My daughter has not been happy for years because my ex-wife makes it hard for my daughter. Can she live with me legally? I live in NH.

Paying child support; daughter does not live with mother [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has joint custody of his 16 year old daughter. He pays child support which is automatically taken out of his paycheck and is deposited into her mother's bank account. The problem is that for almost a year, his daughter has not been living with her mother. The daughter lives with her...

I want to live with my mother but my father will not let me [ 5 Answers ]

I am 15 years old I live in wichita,Ks and I have now grown up to teenager years and I wouild like to speak out and be able to have a choice of who I want to live with.I would like to live with my mother because first she is my mother and second I have been with my father every since I was 6 and I...

View more questions Search