Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vt52now Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2011, 05:48 PM
    Wireless while away from home
    I want to take my laptop with me on a trip. Is there anything out there that I can use to be connected to the internet no matter where I am??
    emtdan Posts: 16, Reputation: 4

Feb 22, 2011, 07:51 PM
    How about almost anywhere.

You can get a USB wireless cell modem. It'll plug into your computer and you can surf the web just about anywhere there is cell service. If you have a cell phone provider check with them.

Check with the provider as to how much you can download per day/week/month.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Feb 22, 2011, 11:33 PM

Or instead of getting the modem package, just use your phone as the modem (depending on your phone)

Iphone, Android & Blackberry's all have this capability.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 23, 2011, 05:02 AM

There are WiFi hotspots in a lot of places. That may be sufficient for you. Otherwise your choices are Mobile broadband which is what emtdan described or what ITStudent described.

Note: Mobile broadband plans usually involve a contract and monthly costs, though there are some pay as you go plans.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Feb 23, 2011, 08:33 AM

If you have a capable phone...

June Fabrics PDA Technology Group

Instead of paying a monthly fee I suggest looking into a new program/app called PdaNet (above link)... this is a one time buy ($15-$30) for your phone to act as a modem for internet to a PC.

We use it at work instead of paying Verizon $20-$30/ month. As stated by the website you need to have one of the following phones Iphone, Android, Blackberry. It works flawlessly...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have verizon wireless for laptop go through wireless router for home [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have verizon wirless for my laptop, works very well in and out of town. I would like to know if I can run my UBS verizon wirless through a router so when I am home we may all use the internet with home computors at the same time.

Best all in one wireless to buy for home use? [ 1 Answers ]

Best all in one wireless to buy for home use?

Setting up wireless home networking via a wireless aircard [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to set up a wireless home networking using a wireless aircard. I have installed the wireless air card via USB connect on my desktop PC. I have a Linksys Wireless router and I want to be able to connect two laptops wirelessly via this router. I am having problems establishing a...

Email- wireless and home PC [ 2 Answers ]

I have just connected my laptop to my wireless network at home. I have the same email, so why don't I get my email on both computers?

Wireless Home Security Questions [ 6 Answers ]

I am a little confused so I would to know if someone here could help me out. We currently have ADT (contract expired, not extended). We are moving to FIOS and our ADT will not work so we are going to go wireless. We like Alarm.com - 100% Wireless Security Systems for Homes & Businesses for the...

View more questions Search