Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moniac Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2011, 02:59 PM
    Reporting scholarship and taxes paid on scholarship
    My wife was on F-1 in Spring 2010 (graduating semester) pursuing PhD and she received $8,100 as fellowship/scholarship. And, $1,300 was deducted as NRA tax. She paid around $1,000 as tuition fees for that semester. She has not received a W-2 and no 1098-T was given as she was a non-resident alien.

After graduating, she started working in August 2010 for which she received W-2 with appropriate federal taxes withheld. Currently, she is on H-1. We are filing taxes as married joint status.

I was not sure how to report her scholarship income and if it has to be reported at all in the first place.

Should I deduct both taxes and tuition paid from the scholarship and then report it as wages; or report scholarship as wages, use tuition deduction if allowed and add taxes deducted from the scholarship to our total federal taxes?

Please advise!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 22, 2011, 08:05 PM

If you are a degree candidate and if the financial aid (includes scholarship and fellowship) is for tuition fee, other fees, books, supplies and equipment, then it is not taxable. For a degree candidate aid for boarding and travel are taxable. If you are not a degree candidate, then all the financial aid is taxable. Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Income Tax Topics 1
    If the school does not issue W-2 or 1098-T, they should issue you form 1042-S.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am looking for scholarship [ 0 Answers ]

My name is Teferi bassa. I have bachelor degree from Bahirdar university in economics and public financial management from Ethiopian civil service college. Now I'm looking for scholarship to further my career. So if you are positive to help me I will be glad for your assistance.

Scholarship [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Nigerian and I wish to study in the us?uk.Are there any scholarshps by a body like commonwealth, united nations etc that would take care of my tuition, feeding, transportation, accommodation,fees etc through my four years of study?

View more questions Search