Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Goedele Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2011, 12:45 PM
    E=mc^2 Physics Fusion Power question
    When a deuteron combines with a tritium nucleus (a proton and two neutrons) they react to form a helium nucleus and a neutron and 17.6 million eV of energy are "released". How many Joules are released? What is the difference in mass between the masses of the fuel and the products (use E=mc^2 )
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 22, 2011, 12:51 PM

First convert the energy in eV as given in the problem to joules, using the conversion factor 1 joule = 6.24150974 × 10^18 electron volts. Then use E=mc^2 to calculate m (mass) that was lost in the reaction to create this energy. Be sure to keep your units straight: if E is in joules and you use c = 3 x 10^8 m/s then the answer for m will be in Kg.

Feb 22, 2011, 01:14 PM
    Thank you very much, this is really helpful!

Feb 22, 2011, 01:15 PM
    Comment on ebaines's post
    Thank you very much, this is really helpful!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Physics Fusion Question [ 2 Answers ]

The force an electric field of strength E (N/Coulombs) applies to a particle of charge Q coulombs is simply Q * E. If the charge is positive, the force is in the direction of the field. a) How much force does a 150,000 N/C force exert on a deuteron (1 neutron and one proton) b) How much KE will it...

What does gillette fusion power need a battery for [ 1 Answers ]

I'm going to get a razor and gillette's blades look like the best to me... but I don't know what the batterys for in fusion power. Do the blades move or something or am I just paying for a razor with a battery in it.

2007 Ford Fusion No Power [ 1 Answers ]

Today my 07 Fusion just stopped working. It has 82K miles on it. There is no power to any systems at all except for an odd ticking sound you can hear from inside the car without the key being in the ignition. We tried charging the battery to see if that was the problem, checked all the connections...

Gillete Fusion Power [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know if you can use the regular Fusion cartridges on a Fusion Power razor?

View more questions Search