Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smileymommy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2011, 11:45 AM
    31 year old getting upper denture, full of questions!
    Hello all! I am a 31 year old lady who just scheduled her appointment for extraction of teeth and an upper denture. As a teenager, I was bulimic. Actually, I started in the 8th grade and continued until I was 24. The acid ate my enamel and my teeth are in bad shape now. I have had 5 pulled already (molars, upper)
    I decided to get my teeth fixed. I can't afford implants (God, I wish I could!) and after meeting with 7 different dentists I have decided an upper denture is the way to fix my smile. I just want to smile again!

So... my questions are:

1. I've read a lot about a gagging sensation with an upper denture. I'm nervous about this. Any advise is appreciated! :)

2. Did your speech change? If it did, were you able to read aloud or otherwise correct the change in speech?

3. Do you wear your denture 24/7? Even when sleeping?

Any of your advise or sharing of experiences is much appreciated! Thank you and God bless.

~Kristie
    verrob Posts: 27, Reputation: 6

Feb 25, 2011, 08:55 PM

HELLO
    First... good luck on getting your new dentures.
    When you get your new dentures, you must take them out at night (if you get the dentures the day of the extracions, then you leave them in the first few nights) But under normal situations, always take them out at night, your gums need to breath. Yes, your speech can sometimes change.. but you need to relearn how to speak. It will come, you need to be patient.
    Good luck
    RM
    smileymommy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2011, 06:07 AM
    Thank you for the advise. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Upper Denture Causes Gag Reflex [ 7 Answers ]

Dear Dr. I had worn a full upper denture for about 12 months with absolutely no problems but, for the past three months, I cannot wear them without them causing me to gag. I can allay the problem by chewing on gum and it is not a problem when I eat but otherwise, I cannot Keep them in my...

Ground fighting training with upper denture & partial. [ 2 Answers ]

Is anybody in law enforcement or ground fighting instructor who deals with people who have denture & partial and train for ground fighting etc. How were you able to go through ground fighting training? Did you get advice from your dentist or just common sense situation? What did you do in order...

I am wearing lover denture since 1 year now and I can c bone at the back of my mout [ 1 Answers ]

I have . Help,I'm scared! I am wearing lover partial denture since a year now, I can c bone at the back of my teeth not under my partial denture where natural teeth seets, but at the end of last teeth. It is exactly wher all teth ends inside mouth between upper and lower jaw. What it can be ? Is...

Chrome cobalt partial upper denture [ 7 Answers ]

Can you have a chrome cobalt denture made and fitted after extraction of teeth just don't want nhs 1 and just wondering how long waiting time would be without teeth

Partial upper denture does not touch palate. Is dentist a quack? [ 4 Answers ]

I have had 4 teeth in front removed, and 1 at the side. My dentist is now trying for the second time to have a denture made. I have many allergies to dental materials, and thus the new denture does not have metal clasps, but does have some type of plastic clasps around my back teeth. The denture...

View more questions Search